Logo

SeaKing 5

thomasj

"I was recently ginven a SeaKi

"I was recently ginven a SeaKing 5 motor, the guy said he used to rebuild vintage motors and he said this one had been gone through, one question I neglected to ask is where to find the model number as he was unsure of the year of it.

Thanks,

Tom"

"ok so i found the serial numb

"ok so i found the serial number, can someone help me out with possible year and who it was made by and maybe a little help on what oil mixture i should use??

thanks,

Tom

ser # 35GG-9015 487449"

"I was going to start a new th

"I was going to start a new thread, but maybe I should keep it here. I have a 1951 5 hp Sea King from Montgomery Wards.

15GG-9015

I have taken it apart and have some questions. Here are some pics http://picasaweb.google.com/peter.m.flores/0903Engine?authkey=Gv1sRgCJaiieath6v2kgE#

So, first, the carburetor. Overall it looks to be in good shape. I took it apart, and have cleaned it pretty good. I think it is missing the throttle valve off the front (as seen in the picture). Can anyone confirm if there should be a piece on the front there? Also, any ideas on where to find that throttle valve and a gasket? I have read that Johnson/Evinrude of the same year should work?

Also the ignition system. I cannot get the plugs to spark. I have tested the points, the condensers, the cables and they all seem to work fine. I bought new spark plugs, but can't get them to fire. Any ideas how to test if I am getting enough voltage?

Any parts places in Central Texas would help, too!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Peter"

"Hey Peter,

I have a simila

"Hey Peter,

I have a similar motor, and it calls for 1/2 pint to the gallon, which is 16:1. I leave it mixed that thick using modern TC-W3 just to keep the metal parts from banging and scraping together. Bearings weren't very well perfected when that motor was made.

As for your spark issue, have you checked the coils? If they were never replaced, they are likely cracked and "dead". I can't tell by your pictures what kind of shape they are in.

Someone else would have to answer the parts compatability with JohnnyRudes of the day. I have an early 50's (1955, I think) Viking (same as Seaking), and it is very different from a 1956 Evinrude."

Back