Logo

Throttle adjustment

M

mudshark08

"I have a 1976 mercury 850. Wh

"I have a 1976 mercury 850. When moving the throttle/shifter lever it travels about 45 degree's after engauging in foward or reverse before I get any throttle. Also I am only getting 4200rpm at full throttle. I have tried adjusting the cable inside the motor housing with no luck, all that seemed to do is increse the idle speed. Should I try adjusting the cable inside the lever housing ? Please help."

"Scott, If your control is a M

"Scott, If your control is a Mercury, there is no adjustment in the control. Also, the control units usually have plenty of throttle range. There is a throttle stop adjustment on your motor however. The check is to (motor off) push the throttle all the way forward, and check to see if your carbs are all the way open. The carb linkage is that vertical plastic rod from the bottom of the top carb to the top of the bottom carb. If the carbs do not open all the way, see if they are hitting the throttle stop. It adjustment screw should be labeled. If you are getting full throttle at the motor and the RPMs are only 4200, either the prop has too much pitch, the engine is not producing the 85 HP, or the boat and load are too much."

Back