Logo

BW Transmission

"I have B-W VelvetDrives, mode

"I have B-W VelvetDrives, model AS2-71C (1.52:1)attached to my 318's. When the port gear is in neutral, it still spins the shaft very weakly in forward rotation. It's only turning at a fraction of engine speed and I can hold it with my hand and stop it with little effort. When I stop the shaft from turning, it 'pulses' in the direction of rotation. If I rev the engine, the shaft speed increases proportionately, but the the increase lags the engine increase by a second or two.
PS: This is the same gear that I posted about last fall after it lost a few litres in a very short time, with no oil in the bilge or in the exhaust stream."

"I have the same problem with

"I have the same problem with my recently rebuilt 72c. The transmission shop says that in my case, they put in bronse clutch plates and they are a little too tight. They are going to sand down the plates a little to give more clearance, so they won't drag.

I have also heard that the clutch plates can warp in older transmissions causing this drag. Make sure the fluid is correct level, clean (bright red), and has no burnt smell. Also verify that the detent ball is in the hole in the shifting lever on the transmission when in neutral. Sometimes the bracket that holds the cable in place can get bent a little and it does not lign up perfectly.

I would suspect the transmission cooler for the missing fluid. Also try laying a white oil absorbing cloth under the trans....any leeks will be obvious.

Good luck."

Back