Logo

1999 mercury 150 optimax

rooster6

"I am looking at purchasing a

"I am looking at purchasing a boat with this motor on it and am wondering about the engine. I have read several reports of problems with this engine, can anyone give me advice on the problems? Or any owner reviews?

Thanks"

"Ryan, the early Opti's &#

"Ryan, the early Opti's (up until about 2002) had some chronic cooling system problems - if they overheated (somewhat common) it was often times very difficult to figure out exactly what was causing it.

The 99 model will have 2 temp sensors, one in the port cylinder head (if I'm remembering correctly) and one in the compressor. In the 02 model year they added a third sensor to the other head, not really to correct any problem but as a way to detect cooling issues.

I don't personally know if they reworked the cooling system channels or whatever following that, but the "fantom" problems no longer appear to be an issue.

As to the motor itself, I love the Opti's. They will kick the snot out of any other motor on the market any which way you want to compare them (hole shot, top end, gas mileage etc etc) and unlike OMC/BRP's and Yami's direct injected models, the Merc's have a "low pressure" injection system that should last better over time simply due to less stress on the components.

However, even though these are a 2 stroke, don't kid yourself that they in any way resemble a 2 stroke of the past. These are "high tech" machines and the backyard mechanic doesn't go at one of these with a screwdriver.

Things don't tend to break and the maintenance level can be 3 to 4 times lower than a 4 stroke, but when something does go it tends to be expensive.

Having said all that you have to consider you are talking about a motor that is 10 years old and was a "new" and "unproven" design when it was built - it was leading edge stuff in 99, so no real track record.

I would definately make a condition of sale that would allow you to have a dealer check out the motor (mostly just have to plug it into a computer).

I wouldn't back away from this, but be vigilant in having it checked out and fixing a fair value to the motor in the overall price of the rig. If the motor is fine it's total value in the package might be 3-4K, otherwise it could simply be about 450 pounds of scrap aluminum...."

"Thanks Graham, I stell feel

"Thanks Graham, I stell feel the prioce is to high and am going to wait and see if he will come down.

Thanks again"

Back