Logo

Berkeley jet drive and diesel motor

jsca

"Hello all, Perhaps someone co

"Hello all, Perhaps someone could tell me what the minimum diesel powered motor should be to be connected to my Berkeley jet. Had to remove my 3.5 chev. (Rough seas here in South Africa. Carb just does not like water!)Am using a 7.5 meter semi-rigid. Tks. JeanW"

"[b]"remove my 3.5 chev.&#

""remove my 3.5 chev."

Ayuh,... Never heard of a 3.5 Chevy....

What is it,..??"

"350 cub.inch V8 (ex Monar

"350 cub.inch V8 (ex Monaro Coupe)
But still, my min. diesel power requirement for Berkeley Jet is not solved. JeanW"

"depends upon which drive and

"depends upon which drive and the impeller installed in it. go to their www site, once you have the specifics from what you have, and research away.
www.berkeleyjet.com"

I'd still encourage you to

I'd still encourage you to match the 'need' to the capabilities 'delivered' - you'll be much happier in the long run.

"Ok Mako, I understand that on

"Ok Mako, I understand that on the wide open lakes in USA one should keep this V8. Here in South Africa there are no lakes; only small "dams". (some 5 x 5 kms). I take the rib out to sea. And here, the waves are normally 1.5 to 2 meters. Rather rough o0utr here.You cannot completely insulate the petrol intake. And to fit a 3 meter "chimney-intake" (air) is not really the idea. When I am stuck some 8 kms from shore because of water in the carb, (which is actually what happened) and only have a small outboard to push me back, I won't feel too happy again (The Great Whites are plentyfull here!!)
Thats why I am seriously considering some sort of diesel power. Thanks for the interest anyway. JeanW"

"Ayuh,...

Your Jetdrive is

"Ayuh,...

Your Jetdrive is tuned to the horsepower you have available by changing the diameter of the Impeller...

You pick the Diesel motor, if you get around 200/250hp,..
Maybe the pump will work as is,... Maybe not...

If it's less hp,.. You'll have to turn down the impeller..."

"jean:

i think Bondo restat

"jean:

i think Bondo restated my point; if whatever powerplant you pick isn't matched to the drive, you won't be able to make use of it. each drive has a range of torque requirements and different impellors to fine tune within that range.

spent many years offshore - not over there - and understand your concerns and normal sea states. Just be aware that those diesels don't like water in their fuel systems anymore than a petrol engine."

if propane is available i woul

if propane is available i would set that up way cheaper to install and cheaper to run and if u want to double ur hp TURBOCHARGE IT yea....

Propane on a boat is an explos

Propane on a boat is an explosive idea. Won't have to worry about that 8k return home on the kicker!

hahaha i figured someone would

hahaha i figured someone would say that.. but tell me whats the difference from runnin it in ur vechicle.. or on a house boat for ur stove or furnace...
if u know anything about propane it is quite safe. it can run in any direction without flooding or even a hiccup. it is a 110 octane. and is one of the cleanest fuel u can buy. i would not run anything but.

I'm converting my 1961 26' tollycraft with a 312 interceptor with side draft carbs to propane cause the carbs are know to leak and catch fire.. now thats safe..

Thanks
Rick

"Rick, pse tell whats involved

"Rick, pse tell whats involved and how to do the conversion? Sounds mighty interesting. I so propose that propane to carb intake is a complete closed system?. What type of propane has to be used? (normal "stove-heater" propane?) I have a "Holly 4160 monster" centrally fitted to my chev. regards, Jean"

"it's quite simple actuall

"it's quite simple actually u need the five componets
tank or tanks.i am using 2 30 pound bottles
hose.
a fuel lock off, electric.
a converter, impco model e.
and a mixer, impco 425 or ohg 450.
and i only know of one type of propane..
you can get a adapter plate to go from either mixer to ur holley throttle plate.
Thanks
Rick"

"The difference between a vehi

"The difference between a vehicle and a boat should be obvious. In a vehicle the heavier propane if leaking from any fitting or the tank will simply fall away to the ground and should never be in concentrations heavy enough to explode. In a boat which is designed to keep water out, will also keep propane in. It will settle to the lowest point in the hull and wait for a source of ignition, unless your lucky and discover it is there first. A boat operated in rough seas will jar the crap out of fittings and it would only be a matter of time for a leak to develop. But of coarse every boat owner follows strict maintencance schedules so maybe this is not the case...yeah right"

"If you convert it AND insure

"If you convert it AND insure it, let us know who underwrote the policy, would you? I'll be you can't afford the premium, if you even get offered a policy."

"Hi Jean,

Before you thro

"Hi Jean,

Before you throw cash at the propane conversion, make sure that the local SAMSA or SADSAA inspector will allow this for your needs. More so if it's for charter purposes.

Thought of a 3l+ Turbo Diesel 4 cyl from our local bakkies? Not too sure when the environmental issue could be, we had a trip in Durban few weeks ago on a boat with an Isuzu 280 DT motor that exhausted to atmosphere. Was very quiet over 1500 RPM as turbo "chops" up the exhaust gas pulses.

Might need to change the pump as suggested earlier by Makomark.

Keep us posted!

From a chilly & sunny Jozi"

Back