Logo

440 ManifoldsRisers

ezuskin

Contributing Member
"Fun day in the bilge removing

"Fun day in the bilge removing manifolds, risers, and heat exchanger. I will take them to a local radiator shop that does sonic cleaning if they deem them reusable. They ain't pretty but an old timer at the marina said there was still some "life in em". Let's see if I can add photos.
Eddie
hmm...so where did my attachments go?"

"From just looking at the pict

"From just looking at the pictures I would say theres quite a lot of life left in them, is that those ridiculous swivel risers?, fingers crossed
Pete"

"By "life" do you mean

"By "life" do you mean the distance between the water slits and the lip of the exhaust wall? Several shots show considerable integrity, but one or two show the metal in this gap starting to disintegrate. Shouldn't that be the concern? Would you recommend a good immersion and scrub at the radiator shop, then check the gap?"

What are swivel risers? The pi

What are swivel risers? The pic with the parts spread out is the layout. The radiator shop will help me determine if they are reusable.
Eddie

"The swivel risers are those r

"The swivel risers are those round flange thingees shown in several of the above photos. From my experience they "look" good, but that's just a guess. I made up a testing rig to pressure test them and prove they are okay. You could too, and test the manifolds as well.

Jeff"

"I found a date cast onto side

"I found a date cast onto side of manifold, 10-15-74. This tells me the manifolds are original. I got the ends off the manifold and see a "dip" in the metal at inside edge around the gasket and scale and rust below the dip. Possibly a source of freshwater going out or raw leaking in. After 35 years may be time to replace. The elbows/risers are Oscos that aren't original, I can tell the gaskets on the elbow side of manifold doesn't have paint overspray like the end cap side.
I should know the condition of heat exchanger tomorrow.
Eddie"

I find that about 10 years is

I find that about 10 years is max for any of the parts. The risers leak at the inside end of the inner stainless tube and can't be seen very well.

Dan
Long time 440 owner.

"Dan,
Risers and elbows aren&

"Dan,
Risers and elbows aren't new but are of an indeterminable age that seem reusable. I'll take a good look at the stainless tube in the elbow.
Eddie"

"Eddie Z,

Your first pictur

"Eddie Z,

Your first picture shows the manifold/spacer/risor with the risor aimed back over the manifold.

I had to create a set up like this to shoehorn M440 into 23 Mako. I plumbed from lowest point in manifold with water exiting from high point port.

Is the arrangement as you show it the way its assembled on your boat? If so, I'm relieved to see that I didn't dream it up on my own. I'm planning to take boat out for sea trails once freezing weather stops. Does anyone see issue with my set up?

url]

Thanks, Noel."

"Noel,
Yes. That is exactly t

"Noel,
Yes. That is exactly the setup I have. Your 23' Mako should "go like stink" with that motor.
Eddie"

Back