Logo

Loud beeping alarm

While running my boat for the

While running my boat for the first time this year a loud alarm went off and the boat started to run real rough. I have always thought that alarm meant low oil but the oil and gas is mixed. What can this alarm be?

that rough running is part of

that rough running is part of the safety sequence Yamaha builds into the outboard. You have a problem that needs to be checked. What lights came on?

Just In Time It is a 85hp Yama

Just In Time It is a 85hp Yamaha..not sure of the year

Dabonzman There are no indicator light on my boat.I have a '94 Lowe party barge

Rollie: I was only running it

Rollie: I was only running it for a short period of time but was running it hard. How did the problem just go away when I turned the key off waited 30seconds and fired it back up? Evrything was fine after the short pause.

"Maybe you had something stuck

"Maybe you had something stuck on the leg that blocked the water intake. Plastic bag, weeds etc. When you turn the engine off the suction stops as well and often the obstruction falls away. When you start back up again cold water cools the engine down quickly silencing the alarm. If you get an overheat alarm you should wait longer than 30 seconds for the block to cool off before introducing cold water...same as a car that overheats you add water slowly after it has had a chance to cool down."

J-I-T: when the motor swap was

J-I-T: when the motor swap was done last year none of the gauges other than the tach was hooked up by the mechanic

Rollie: The beeping continued when i restarted the motor and idled down river. It stopped beeping after a short period and the motor ran normal.

well you got no oil or overhea

well you got no oil or overheat
better find out which one
you can disconnect sensors and find out
I'm working blind without other gauges

"If your engine is a pre-mix m

"If your engine is a pre-mix model then it has to be an alarm for overheat. The alarm will sound for a short period after getting hot as it takes awhile for the temp at the sensor to drop enough for it to silence the alarm. I think you may have had something over the water intake, that fell off when you shut it down. Was there any increase in steam coming from it when the alarm was sounding?"

rollie is on 100% as in sensor

rollie is on 100% as in sensors
the whole water intake is another thing
these are volume pumps not pressure pumps

"The most common reason for an

"The most common reason for an insurance claim for engine rebuilds up here is overheat, leading to engine meltdown from debris sucked onto the leg. Most common is picking up a plastic bag on leg while at high speed...it only takes a short period of time to get hot enough to do enough damage that unless you replace water jacket or head gaskets that water will enter the cylinders in the next few trips. If the owner doesn't clue into subbtle signs that something is amiss, it doesn't take long for a big problem to surface. Its happened to me...once! I now have a water pressure guage on the dash that tells me what is not flowing and I pick up on that way before the overheat alarm sounds(dummy alarm which really means ha ha to late, you'll be spending some money)"

It did it twice last year the

It did it twice last year the last 2 weekends i brought it out and now this.

How do i fix this problem?

Thanks for all the replies!

"Another reason the alarm mayb

"Another reason the alarm maybe going off is water/contamination in the engines in-line fuel filter. If your model is fitted with sensor type filter, simply remove it, clean out the bowl and refit it. Be sure to re-prime the system prior to starting the motor."

Back