Logo

Removal of OMC 1979 Series 800 Lower Stern Drive

jmayfield

"I am trying to remove the Low

"I am trying to remove the Lower Unit on my OMC Series 800 1979 Stern Drive. Can I simply drop the Lower Unit itself or do I have to remove the Upper Unit and Steering Cable's first? I think I will have to remove the Upper Unit and or Cable's but not sure and don't want to go through all this if the Lower Unit can be dropped by itself.

I am trying to replace the Forward Gear!

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Take Care, Jesse Mayfield, Sr. of Buckhead, Morgan County, Georgia - Retired on Lake Oconee

email address is [email protected]"

you have to remove the whole d

you have to remove the whole drive. Follow manual procedure for cable removal. Be very cautious with the cable. It is expensive and rare. Damaging it can spell the end of your boat. Use lots of penetrating spray and finesse.

Remove batteries completely from the boat before working with the cable. There is live 12V+ all over and if a cable end touches it - it destroys it.

Have you found a forward gear? Parts for 79-81 hydromechanical shift lower unit are not very plentiful.

"Hi Hy Stat,

I was afraid o

"Hi Hy Stat,

I was afraid of that. Having to remove the entire Upper & lower unit & Cable's is a pain, but I guess I will have to do it!

Parts for my 1979 OMC Stern Drive don't seem to be a problem, at least not in the past, not sure about now.

Take Care, Jesse Mayfield, Sr."

Back