Logo

RPMbs increase when I run out of gas

"I have my Evinrude 60HP Sport

"I have my Evinrude 60HP Sportfour running pretty well. It cruises at 25.8mph now that I've fixed the gasket on the reed valve plate. I still think it should do better...but we'll see. I have purchased an 11 pitch prop to try (mine is 9.25 now). I think the motor has the power to push it. It doesn't seem to be working hard at all now.

I was out running it Sunday evening- when- on the way back to the ramp. It began to stumble as it ran out of gas... I walked back to switch tanks- while my wife steered. I swear the rpm's increased 500-700 RPM.. as it leaned out (10 seconds) It pulled well and increased speed (before I could get the line switched).
Should I look at the carburetor? at the oriface jets (.072's) and consider getting smaller ones, What about the venturis? ... or will I lean the engine too much and risk piston failure?"

Its nothing unusual for one to

Its nothing unusual for one to speed up when it is running out of fuel
If you don't have a tach on that boat then get one. If you don't have one you are only guessing on the operation of that motor with any prop on it and guessing spells repair bills ahead.

Back