Logo

305 Merc MPI Ticking Noise

izzy143

"2007 SeaRay 210 Select, 305 M

"2007 SeaRay 210 Select, 305 MPI, Corsa Exhaust, Bravo III, 80 hours on it.

We took it out for the first trip of the season and noticed a distinct ticking noise between 1300-1900 RPM (with/without Corsa on) coming from the right aft on the engine.

It goes away right a 1900 RPM-idles fine, no sluggish response, and oil level good with no alarms.

I was thinking a lifter clicking...anyone have insight on this happening on their mercruiser? Any risk of damage?

Thanks, Jon"

A collapsed lifter would be no

A collapsed lifter would be noisy at idle. Does the noise follow a change in RPMs? When was the oil changed last? What brand filter and oil & wt. was used?

"It ticked at idle and followe

"It ticked at idle and followed up until approx 1900 RPM when the tick went away. It returns again after going back to idle until running it up again.

I used mercruiser 25W-40 and the stock filter when I put it up at the end of last season.

Yesterday was the first launch and I checked the fluid level right as we launched and it was good.

Would a collasped lifter cause a lot of damage, or is it a simple fix (hopefully not too expensive) at the dealer?

Thanks for the quick response!"

""Would a collasped lifter

""Would a collasped lifter cause a lot of damage, or is it a simple fix"

I drove a V-8 car w/a collapsed lifter for 50,000 miles and it didn't hurt it. I would try 8 ozs. of SEA FOAM in the oil to see if it is just a bit of dirt/sludge. Try it twice 10 engine hours apart and see if it cleans out the lifter.

Not a cheap repair at any place. Intake manifold needs to come off and the rocker arm & push rod removed to replace a lifter. Ask the dealer if the noise is a collapsed lifter and if it is under warranty."

Guy is right i have had a few

Guy is right i have had a few cars that have had lifter noise .if you find out for sure it is a lifter do what guy said and give it some time. it more than likely pump back up

Back