Logo

Honda BF15a carb problems

dprest

"I'm a little green as far

"I'm a little green as far as carbs go, if anyone has any ideas tha would be great.
When I prime the engine with the hose pump gas pour out of the carb.
If I let the engine sit overnight and try to start it without further priming the engine will run for about 5 seconds, stall and not restart.
When the engine is running it dumps gas into the water either from the exahust or the carb, not sure which.
Furhter priming results in more flooding. The engine has not been used in about 2 years. Any ideas?"

"As far as I can tell, your ca

"As far as I can tell, your carb floats have jammed in the open or closed position. What happens is the fuel evaporates while the floats are up, and as it evaporates it leaves a sticky gum on the float bowl walls. This holds the floats up or down, and causes the fuel to continually flow. Take the bowl off, there is a screw underneath. Do it carefully and using kero or petrol, clean the whole thing out. Takes time but should be sucessful."

"Thanks a million Constable Ch

"Thanks a million Constable Chris!! Got it running but the idle is through the roof. If I push the choke in it dies but if the choke is part way out it runs, albiet with a way to fast idle. Do you know if there is an idle screw adjustment or could there be something else gummed up?
David"

"Mate as far as I know it is j

"Mate as far as I know it is just more gum. There is an idle adjust, im just not sure where it is, Ihave a 50 honda and just thought your problem sounded like one i had. But the idle jet is most likely just blocked with a little gum"

"I'll trade you for proble

"I'll trade you for problems; mine ONLY idles when choked (which opens the butterly so it is NOT idling).

The idle adjustment screw (Honda calls it the "pilot screw") is the shiny brass one on the side (tiny slot for a screwdriver). Turn fully in and back out 1 & 5/8 turns for initial setup. There should be a spring and an oring on that screw and the end of the screw looks like a firing pin.

Dunno, sounds to me that the OTHER adjustment screw ("throttle stop screw") is turned in too far and opening your butterfly valve and bypassing the idle circuit. Try backing that one all the way out OR readjust the throw on the choke lever (is adjustable).

Good luck with it - these are too sexy of engines to give you grief for too long..."

"David,

Get some carburator

"David,

Get some carburator spray cleaner. Remove the carb and the bowl. Spray and clean everything (especially all holes and ports). Put it back together carefully. It was running OK before you laid it up. Nothing was changed while it was sitting. The problem is still gum and varnish in the low speed jet. The idle is high because you have the choke on. It is designed to raise the idle speed when the motor is cold. When you get all the jets clean, it will run fine with little or no adjustments. This is a very simple and easy-to-work-on carburator.

Good luck"

"hi ,i am having trouble with

"hi ,i am having trouble with my BF15,starts first go with choke full out,when you put it half way ok then dies when you put it full in,i have cleaned out the carb but exactly the same.same thing happened before and put my fingers over the air intake and sorted itself out but not happenning this time,it will start and run if i keep the choke in and put my fingers slightly apart over the intake but dies when i take them off
thanks john"

"John, how did you clean the c

"John, how did you clean the carb? totally disassembled, soaked and cleaned the jets?

What you are describing sounds like your low speed jet is still plugged up..."

"I've got a different prob

"I've got a different problem. The engine (BF15A) starts fine and runs smoothly at idle speed, but it won't rev up. Everything looks okay mechanically; the gas is fresh; the plugs are new and gapped correctly; the oil has been changed. The fuel pump is pumpin', and the coolant water is flowing. I've done a good bit of carb cleaner squirting. Short of disassembling, am I missing something?"

Back