Logo

Starter problem

mustangman2654

"starter worked then later qui

"starter worked then later quit. (stranded me on lake ) 1987 110 johnson. Got new battery. Starter spins, but gear won't pop up to engage drive. What is problem. Can I fix at home??"

"Check all the connections. If

"Check all the connections. If the motor is not spinning properly the pinion may not engage with the ring gear.

Check all connections again.

Make sure that the starter is secure.

Try the pinion assembly by hand to see if when rotated it rises freely up the shaft. Clean to free off if necessary.

Pinion assembly can be removed to inspect or replace if necessary

EXPLODED DIGRAM

Was the old battery defective or have you just replaced it anyway.

Motor could be defective (brushes perhaps) if it is not spinning as fast as it should.

All parts indicated can be replaced."

Probably 90% of all starter pr

Probably 90% of all starter problems on an outboard is due to weak battery or dirty/corroded or loose connections. Also check all the lugs at each cable end for signs of corrosion. They can corrode inside where you can't see it. And as mentioned the shaft the bendix rides up and down on can get dirty and not allow it to spin up.

"That was some very intresting

"That was some very intresting advise, last 2 postings, unfortunatly, they did not read or clearly understand the issue, Gentlemen when there is a low voltage supply to a starter, 100% of the the time the starter will not spin due to the voltage required by the solinoid, so let us not lead this member astray, I may not be an advanced member nor do I know how to get there, but I DO KNOW the problem you discribed has nothing with poor connections, or lack of voltage, I think that some of the members should find out what it takes to fire up a solinoid, as well as voltage when started is included, possibly a training course, or some formal education prior to " what happened to me in the back yard". that being said, via you description it sounds like your starter drive went for a ka ka, $20.00 fix max.
question.gif
"

"that is basic trouble shootin

"that is basic trouble shooting,going for the most
obvious problems first or i should say most common.can you tell me how much voltage/amps
are actually required to activate a solinoid?
i have had outboards for years(maney different models)and have had this problem in the past,and yes at least one of those items listed above was the culpret.state of charge,poor connections,
dirty bendix shaft,etc. and i would like to add that
i am a graduate of mtti of rhode island ,class of
so KA KA pooey"

Same thing happened to me year

Same thing happened to me years back. I removed the starter from the engine block and hooked it up to my truck battery and it popped up as it should. My boat battery was charged and read 12 volts but had low amperage. Try a different known good battery for a quick test.

"[i]"I DO KNOW the problem

""I DO KNOW the problem you discribed has nothing with poor connections, or lack of voltage"

That's eliminated those as possibilities then. Where are your suggestions. Something positive please not just negative criticism.

One thing I have missed is the possibility that the solenoid contacts might be dirty or burned.

Unfortunately there are no troubleshooting FAQ to refer people to on these forums so in their absence I suggest reading the article "Outboard wont start" in the iBoats Engine FAQs board SEE HERE
Sorry about the "Advanced member" title. All it means is a saddo who spends too much time writing stuff on these forums. Hopefully though now and then helping someone with a problem."

"it worked it stopped,got a ne

"it worked it stopped,got a new batt,did not work
correctly,1st post
if you know what the problem is please lets hear it.other than that,lets not bash others trying
to get to the root of the problem.
no need to shout:by the way you are about 14 posts away from becoming an advanced member:
hopefully now and then helping someone.
nuff said"

"Problem solved:

1. Put in

"Problem solved:

1. Put in new battery
2. Starter spun but did not engage.
3. Checked pinion; could not budge it.
4. Sprayed down with WD40 -- waited
5. Finally had to pry it gently with screwdriver
6. Up it went! Rust on shaft bound it.
7. Sprayed it with more WD40; got it to move freely
8. Worked!!
9. Went fishing, caught 2 bass; no starter problem
10. Thanked all for the advice."

"[i]"MY whole issue was DI

""MY whole issue was DID YOU READ THE MANS POST
I THINK NOT !! ! !"

Oh sorry I misunderstood your earlier post. I thought you were criticising my suggestions as to what might be the trouble.

Yes I did read his post, you think wrongly.
I hoped I had covered all the things that could possibly be causing trouble in one answer.
Thankfully one of my suggestions was the right one."

Back