Logo

CC Catalina 280 rpm

marinko

"My 1978 CC Catalina 280 has s

"My 1978 CC Catalina 280 has single Chevy 350, reverse rotation and propeler CC16x14 T36 1080 RH. Any suggestion about cruising speed and rpm?
Thanks."

Well 1978 sounds like a 350Q w

Well 1978 sounds like a 350Q which would mean 4400 max rpm and a good cruise for that size boat being around 3200 to 3400 rpm the Q motor made max torque at 3200 rpm not 3000 like most people believe. So a good cruise is a little higher rpm wise than expected.

After local mechanic shop rebu

After local mechanic shop rebuild my 350 I got engine oil leak in flyweel housing. It sounds as main seal leak? It leaks only when you go over 2500 rpm? Any idea how to stop leak?
Thank you.

"Exactly which engine do you h

"Exactly which engine do you have? Chris Craft made several versions of the 350 Q, F, K, and others it makes a difference. If it is a Q there is a good chance the oil pan gasket is wrong. Where is it leaking? You say in flywheel housing but is the flywheel in the front or the back of the motor?"

"350 K is now in my boat. Flyw

"350 K is now in my boat. Flywheel housing is in the back of the motor, where the Paragon transmission is connected. My application is straight inboard. I wish oil pan gasket leaks, but oil pan is dry. I am able to see oil dripping down to the bottom of flywheel housing
(half moon cover is missing at the bottom of flywheel housing). The oil drops down only over 2500 rpm.
I was told rear main seal leaks no often....
Thanks on your help.
Marinko"

"The oil pan and its gasket bo

"The oil pan and its gasket bolt right up to the rear seal. It would be difficult to tell if the rear seal or pan gasket is leaking from your vantage point. The other possibility is that the iol pan gasket was improperly installed and there is a gap at the rear.

If it was the rear main seal, I would expect it would leak at any RPM as the rear bearing is lubricated by a pressurized oil system. The oil in the pan splashes around a lot (by design) and oil splashed up at higher RPMS would leak out.

If its the rear seal and it leaks, it needs to be replaced... same for the pan gasket if its bad or misinstalled."

Back