Logo

Honda 2004 Bf50 Overheat alarm

mrbee

"Hi Just joined Forum. I have

"Hi Just joined Forum. I have a 2004 BF50a and the overheat alarm goes off and the console warning stays green. About 30 seconds after alarm , motor cuts off. I have the boat out of the water and using clam shell for cooling water. While running the motor the water comes out all pee holes. Water is quite hot at top . Any suggestions . Also where is poppet valve? I have had this to honda service they are no help. Thanks"

"Richard - I just had the exac

"Richard - I just had the exact same problem with my 2007 BF 225 that's parked on a trailer in my driveway. I wrote it off to the clam shell not having enough volume of water. As soon as it warms up around here, I plan to take the covers off the intakes and inspect the screens to make sure they are clear. After that, I will try it out on the water. If that doesn't do the job, then I will remove and test the thermostates. Next will be to inspect/replace the water pump impeller. You might want to follow the same procedure."

Water at tell tale should not

Water at tell tale should not be hot as it bypasses the hottest part of the engine and is only meant to tell you that water is pumping. Check t-stats.

"Well I Removed thermostat. It

"Well I Removed thermostat. It is in rough shape. But there is no water coming to the thermostat housing ,which leads me to be believe pump is not pumping. Can anyone give me input on how to get to the water pump. Not at all familiar with marine engines. Thanks"

Pump is located inside leg jus

Pump is located inside leg just above the gearcase. Basically sits right at the joint between gearcase and leg. You should get a shop manual if you've never done one before. They are easy to change but can be made akward if you don't know a few tricks.

I ordered a shop manual. Hasn&

I ordered a shop manual. Hasn't arrived yet. I have disconnected the shift rod and removed the 5 bolts holding the lower unit. The unit does not drop down as I thought it would. Is this normal and any suggestions on getting it off Thanks

"You really need that manual,

"You really need that manual, you might visit your local library and see what they have, as well as a Google of the net.

Can't recall if it was Mercury or Yamaha that had a hidden bolt that was seen when the Anode/Trim Tab was removed.

Shift Rod is one connection that needed released, Drive Shaft should be a splined connection that could be subject to sticking from corrosion.

While waiting a manual, apply some anti-corrosion or penetrating oil and on re-assembly, use marine grease or Anti-Seize to make it easier next time."

look for a hidden bolt under t

look for a hidden bolt under the cav zinc. it will be facing the opposite direction to the others you've removed already

Back