Logo

West Bend 40hp Silver Shark should I bother

mikepratt

"I am 'restoring' and

"I am 'restoring' and old boat from the 60's, I believe (a Blue Star, about 16ft, fins and such), that came with a West Bend 40hp Silver Shark.

The motor is free and has compression, seems complete and in fair condition, for sitting out behind some farmer's barn for 30+ years. I haven't tried to start it, as I'd prefer to take it apart some, and replace gaskets, fuel pump diaphrams, paint it, etc., before I attempt to start it.

I've been around on this board, and it appears the general sentiment is that this is an 'orphaned' brand, and that parts are not available. One posting by an experienced voice would suggest I look for an Evenrude or Johnson instead, if I want a 'period' motor that I can actually get parts for and maintain. Not much on this board that I can find on this brand or motor.

Before I send this to the scrap yard, is there anyone out there that would encourage me to restore/refurbish this motor? Where would I get parts?

I look forward to your help."

"Some parts are available at [

"Some parts are available at http://tinyurl.com/4jq38 and I'm sure they are available elsewhere too.
Not having one myself, I can't give you much good advice on restoring it, but I like to tinker with older outboards and would recommend at least giving it a quick going through before deciding against fixing it yourself. Whatever you do, don't send it to the scrap yard. Someone out there would at least take it off your hands for free.
I have a generic service manual with some information on 40HP West Bends. I'm sure there are better ones out there, but I could possibly look up something if you had a quick question.

That being said, you are correct, parts for older OMC outboards are still easy to come by and there are a lot more people who are aware "how they tick". I don't think I'd spend hundreds of dollars fixing up a West Bend when I could purchase a good running OMC for the same price. Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck."

"Thanks, Wayne - just the kind

"Thanks, Wayne - just the kind of input I was looking for. I'll check out the site, but what's your thoughts on how I'd go about trying to find a 40hp OMC from the 60's that is in good shape for sale? I need one that is rigged for remote throttle and steering."

"Wayne - I called the site you

"Wayne - I called the site you shared, and Jeff at Laing Marine was quite helpful. He says he has all the 'common' replacement parts, so I think I'll give this old motor a try at a functional and cosmetic refurbishment.

Thanks again for the pointer!"

"Congrats, just make sure that

"Congrats, just make sure that if you ever do get an OMC that you purchase the parts from marineengine.com (shameless plug for the site that has given me 90% of all the answers I've ever needed).
I think the "cool factor" on your motor is higher than a JohnnyRude simply because it is a bit rarer.
As for your question about finding a 40HP from the 60's, it probably wouldn't be that hard, and they are going for a fairly low price. The small fishing motors are in higher demand simply because they are still useful as fishing motors.
Congrats again.
Wayne"

"friend...i just joined this g

"friend...i just joined this group.but,i too just found a 1965 9.0 west bend.it started on the first pull.seem to be a pretty good putter around my littlr resevoir here in indiana.
took some puttering to figure out what did what with the choke and all.got stuck for a few mins(more like an hour) trying to figure out the idle and pump settings on that carb.
but,if you decide to junk it.let me know...i would be willing to come and get it....good luck...mike"

Back