Logo

Fuel Ratio Evinrude

ksfish

Hi: Thanks for the help on th

Hi: Thanks for the help on the fuel tank question; Does anyone know the fuel ratio for a 1967 Evinrude 6hp;

"50: 1 using a tcw-3 oil.

A

"50: 1 using a tcw-3 oil.

All Johnsons and Evinrudes from 1964 on run on 50:1
See HERE"

I have 1964 Evinrude Model#184

I have 1964 Evinrude Model#18402 and the owners manual calls for a 24to1 fuel/oil ratio. I put in modern 2-cycle oil and it smokes heavily---to much oil?

1964 was the transition year f

1964 was the transition year for most models between 24:1 and 50:1. I think to be safe I would stick to what the owners manual says. Be sure you are using an outboard engine oil to TCW2 or TCW3 specification. At 24:1 its bound to smoke a bit. It might help to give it the Sea Foam decarbonising treatment.

Someone with more intimate knowledge of the range (18hp?) might be able to advise on the advisability or otherwise of reducing the oil.

"I have put hundreds of hours

"I have put hundreds of hours on a 1959 18 HP Johnson...the motor was in excellent condition when I bought it and remains so today. The owners manual does recommend a ratio of 24 parts gasoline to 1 part of low quality, non-detergent motor oil. Todays TCW3 is a far superior lubricant and I have always run it with the TCW3 at the 50 to 1 ratio. Some of the smaller motors of this vintage used bushings rather than roller bearings and for those motors I would still use the 24 to 1 ratio."

Thank you for your prompt comm

Thank you for your prompt comments. I felt less oil might be OK but using personal experience for learning on oil/fuel ratio's can be become expensive.

50:1 will not damage your engi

50:1 will not damage your engine or shorten its life it will run a little smoother and visibly less smoke on 50:1

"You have been so responsive I

"You have been so responsive I will try you on a less techinal question. I was given an electric trolling motor,a Minkota, but the transom clamp screws are bent. Can they be purchased? As you may guess I,m putting together my dream fishing boat and not going in debt---at least that is what the little lady is being told."

"those threads are standard sh

"those threads are standard should be available
at any hardware store,easy makeshift stuff,or call minne kota for oem screws,prob cost the same +-"

Back