Logo

Stringer 800 Outdrive Grease Change

gmcelroy

Where can I obtain detailed in

Where can I obtain detailed instructions on how to change the grease in my outdrive (Stringer 800)?

I have the SELOC book but it does not really cover this topic.

"remove the three drain plugs.

"remove the three drain plugs.
remove the vent plug from the lower
remove the top plug from the int.
remove the top dipstick plug from the upper.

let all 3 compartments drain.

For each housing:
Pump lube in the bottom drain plug. When it pukes out the top plug, replace the top plug.
Then, remove the pump or squeeze bottle and quickly replace the bottom plug.

Replace all gaskets as you go."

"messy job
<[img]"http://www.

"messy job
249870.jpg
"

I generally use the hose adapt

I generally use the hose adapter to drain the oil. Its a little slower but cleaner.

"90 is a bit heavy but would b

"90 is a bit heavy but would be ok if you didn't boat in late fall or early spring ..... trying to think if I've seen a marine 90, ...the 90 is usually all GL5 stuff for automotive diff housings and such... stinky"

Ya the manuel says not to use

Ya the manuel says not to use sae 90 in either the upper or lower gearcase. But is it safe to take your word Hy Stat to do it anyways. I kind of think it was more about selling their OMC type C than anything else. What to do???

"I've sence come across a

"I've sence come across a lube saying it was a type c replacment, I think it was a murcruser product. Labeled as 80w 90 so there you go Hy, right again."

"type C is for electric shift

"type C is for electric shift lower units 1964-1977, but it will work in later drives. Just paying a bit more for the low conductivity that the electric shift units needed."

Back