Logo

Steam out of exaust port

"The only manuals I've eve

"The only manuals I've ever used have been the factory ones!You have to remember that all settings and adjustments are 'basic' ones, and sometimes tear and wear might need them to be put a bit 'out'.
Be sure Your basic components are in shape, like pionts/breakers, carb, water pump/ thermostat/plugs.
As for points, note that contact point gap is not only the important one. Wear on the cam folower may create a havoc. Use original points!!
If doing adjustments on land, use a barrel with water level similar to that when launched. Exhaust back pressure is essential! Muffs are only to flush out cooling systems, never to be used for engine adjustments."

"Thanks again!
Started using

"Thanks again!
Started using barrel.
Hate adjusting for wear and tear.
Like where the coil mounts under the flywheel,
the outer (lamanated) sections (where you guage where to set), the flywheel has ate or rubbed off more than 30thous. of an inch from orginial casting of plate.
Should I replace plate or keep adjusting? All I can go backwards with the coil is about 4 thousandths (from where the flywheel has rubbed the plate.
I also noticed when I set the points to 20, the play (if I push plate slighty) really changes the gapping.(Lots of wear).
I don't know it it would have the play as it was being ran down the lake.
I don't really care about fast, I just want to troll and cruise.
Sorry to be such a burden. I don't don't know how to adjust for wear & tear.
Will try and find settings for the coil.
Thanks again!!! And thank GOD for trolling mtrs & oars. And MORTEN; and the other guys.
lol.gif
"

"If possible, hook a timing li

"If possible, hook a timing light to the engine and monitor the spark and advance 'jumps'.
Often grounding of amateur plate gets a bit unstable with wear, make a separate ground cable to engine ground.
The 'jerking' indicates that engine is having crank-case combustion. Normally caused by lean burning. Do a solid de-carb (Sea-foam or Engine Tuner), follow instructions on can!"

I do not have the round tool t

I do not have the round tool to set the driver coil so I used a metal straight edge (like manual states).
Set every thing else to specs went to lake only to be disapoined once again.
Luckly had left all my tools in boat. Actually removed fly wheel and set points(while setting in boat on the water) by EYE. Closing them in. Motor started to run more smooth not as it should but close. This doesn't seem logical. As I used 2 different guages to gap and double check before I went. Have you ever heard of such?? I haven't !! Do I need to keep adjusting by feel? Is this what you mean by adjusting for wear & tear?

"' Do I need to keep adjus

"' Do I need to keep adjusting by feel? Is this what you mean by adjusting for wear & tear?'

You are beginning to get it!!
wink.gif
"

Back