Logo

Used outboards

dennis_l

"I am currently looking at use

"I am currently looking at used fresh water boats and I've seen 2 schools of thought:
1) "150HP outboards are unreliable once they get some age on them"
2) "3 cylinder outboards are indestructable"

I haven't had much experience with either,but it seems that it would depend on how well it was taken care of.

I'm open to any advice or suggestions.

Thanks!"

try a crossflow v4 a real wor

try a crossflow v4 a real workhorse.
thy range from 85 hp to 125.
3 cyls are not indestructable there are a few links here with issues regarding certain cys failing.

You hit the nail on the head &

You hit the nail on the head "it would depend on how well it was taken care of." One of the best motors I ever had was a 1983 Merc 150. Since I now have some age on me I needed to downgrade and now have a 3 cyl Merc 75.

"Every maker has good engines

"Every maker has good engines and better ones in their lineups. The old 50hp merc's would run forever, so will the 50hp Honda's, I owned a 115 hp Yami 2 stroke (1989) and I liked it alot...strong, reliable, quiet and smooth running. I've owned a couple 3 cylinder Johnson's and know people with 3 cyliner Yami's ( 70 and 90 hp) and they don't idle as smooth as the 4 cylinders. The other consideration of a 150 hp engine is: is that model with that maker the largest HP in the lineup from that block or the least? Example. same V6 block and either offered as 150, 175, 200 or 225 HP's. The 225 is maxed out and probably going to a shorter lived engine...the 150 should hold up better."

"An outboard motor is built be

"An outboard motor is built better than aircraft specs and is designed to last you a life time 20-25 years if your looking at a merc great engine, if its a yamaha not bad, suffered a little with corrosion here in Aus, omc basically the begining of the 60 deg vee models and they had a few issues"

Back