Logo

Fuel consumption

lhart

We completely rebuilt a 1974 t

We completely rebuilt a 1974 trojan sea raider including both 318 225 hp engines and carter AFB carbs. We have only ran it about 10 hours yet just out on water testing and checking things out.It has 14x11 bronze props and seems to be running nicely. We want to go on a 200 mile trip this summer and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of fuel consumption I can expect at a cruising speed of about 3000 rpms as this seems to be a nice speed for plaining on reasonably smooth water.

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I f

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I found this site by accident when we were rebuilding the boat and I think it is fantastic. I check it all the time. Now I can plan my fuel stops.

And 3000 RPMs is a good max cr

And 3000 RPMs is a good max cruising speed to help get decent life out of the engines...

"Les, what do the motors turn

"Les, what do the motors turn at wot, I have a '71 Sea Raider, with 1:1 tranny's spinning 14 x 13 props, & usually run mine around 27 - 2800 rpm, gives me about 25 mph cruise & about 15 gph for both motors(& stays out of the secondaries). turn 4000 at wot."

"Peter,thanks for the feedback

"Peter,thanks for the feedback. I have 1:1 trannys also but only 14x11 props and have only had one chance to run wot for a short time got 4000 rpms or a little better. I just purchased a gps and chartplotter so i will have a better idea when i get it in the water this year.I borrowed a handheld gps last fall and it looked like 3000 rpms gave me about 23 mph. I presume you are talking US gallons?"

"Les, up here in the great whi

"Les, up here in the great white north we have to buy our fuel by the litre, so I convert mine back to imp gallons & go from there, I replaced the tired old Carter carbs last year with a pair of Edelbrocks, & I think they gave me another 1/2 to 1 mile to the gallon,the trick is staying out of the secondaries, I also have huge tabs on mine, they run the full width of the hull,they only need to be down a couple of degrees, & I always keep my water tank (in the bow) full."

"Pete.I know now we are on the

"Pete.I know now we are on the same side of the pond,litre gave it away.I had already spent lots on rebuilding my carters when I found out about the edelbrocks and the dollar was really bad which made the edelbrocks about 500 each.I decided I better give these a try before I made the plunge.Live and learn.By the way I found out about the edelbrocks on this site,it is great."

"Les

Those new Edelbrocks

"Les

Those new Edelbrocks will eventually pay for themselves by fuel savings--a comforting thought! My engines got 1/2 GPH better mileage at cruising speeds--a terrific improvement! And the built-in, no extra charge, patterned Carter AFB backfire is outta here!

Jeff"

"Les,have to agree with Jeff,

"Les,have to agree with Jeff, the carbs were worth every penny, ( I got mine from summit racing when the exchange was still good,$750 delivered to the front door for a pair), no more coughing & farting, one pump on the throttles & they start right up, & idle!, plus the increase in economy, money well spent."

"You guys sound awfully convin

"You guys sound awfully convincing,I may have to talk to my bank manager. Will my flame arresters fit the new edelbrocks or do I have to change?"

"No, they won't fit--too s

"No, they won't fit--too small in diameter. However, if you are industrious (and a cheapskate like me) you can grind them out. You'll need a pencil grinder and a half hour's worth of patience.

Jeff"

"Hello

Where can I look fo

"Hello

Where can I look for the best deal on two 1409 edelbrock carbs for my twin 318's I'm running the AFB carters which are running very well, would like to improve GPH, for my offshore runs.

Thank You for any leads for the best deals.

Art"

Back