Logo

Searseska outboard

"Hi all. I have a question ma

"Hi all. I have a question maybe one of you can answer. I picked up a 1971 7.5 HP Ted Williams. I cleaned the carburator and the unit seems to run OK. I tried it on a 10' fiberglass rowboat and it actually worked a lot better than I anticipated (slow speed, high speed, etc.) The problem I have is that it takes 10 to 15 pulls before it starts; after it starts, if I stop it and try to start it again right away, it will start on 1 to 2 pulls;if I wait a couple of hours, it takes 10 to 15 pull again before it starts. The pump element appeared to be OK and it is installed at 45 degrees. Any suggestions as to why it takes10to 15 pulls?Any suggestions?"

"This sounds like you are chok

"This sounds like you are choking it every time you try to start it. Try it with throttle first- (to the stop-in neutral, then if it won't start in a few pulls- try to wind the idle mixture screw 1/2 turn -open to it's stop and try again. The fact that it runs quick when warm, makes me think that it is to rich."

"William - Thanks for the repl

"William - Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what you mean by "throttle first- to the stop-in neutral"?
I think you are right about being rich. TO get it running, the sequence now is: 1) pull with full choke - after 10-11 pulls it fires but does not start, 2) put choke half way & pull - it fires sometimes keeps running if not 3) open choke & pull again, it starts. Twist grip is on the start position all the time. Sometimes between pulls I turn the T.G. back and forth - makes me feel better. When the engine starts, it does spew out some smoke and takes a minute or two for the speed to get going.

I will try opening the choke after a copuple of pulls to see it makes a difference.

Out of curiosity, I noticed that some (Ted Williams 7.5 HP) use 24:1 while others use 32:1 or 50:1 gas/oil mixture. WHat have they changed in the engine design or why they specify different mixtures?"

"When the engine is in neutral

"When the engine is in neutral it has a partial throttle for quick start. Your engine sounds like it has a bad seal or vacuum leak. The oil mixture changed as the oil improved and they found the engine would "stay together" with less oil making it easier to start and keep plugs from fouling when run to rich.

Personally I run them at 32/1 with chainsaw oil. Most models running today have roller bearings and needle bearings- which should run fine on 50/1. But--as they are old motors with aluminum rods and tin inserts, I give it all a little cushion. With a leaky main seal, it will suck air as well as lose fuel.

If you would like a copy of my repair book =send me an e-mail."

Back