Logo

Searseska outboard

jojo663

"hey guys, I bought a sears ou

"hey guys, I bought a sears outboard today for a good price. this thing runs great, really strong, but I need some info on it as the guy i bought it from didn't know much about it, I know its air cooled and uses 2 cycle oil like a chain saw or weedeater and not marine oil. what I don't know is where to get parts if I need them (hope i don't) and what is the right gas/oil ratio?? on another post i saw someone was saying it was 24/1. I bought the enigine as a 1959 sears 3.5 hp from what I have found so far It was made by ESKA and I think maybe the motor was built by tecumseh. anybody got any info they can share would be very nice. SAFE BOATING AND GOOD FISHING
thumbs_up.gif
whistle.gif
"

"I have got to revise my info

"I have got to revise my info about this motor. it is not a 1959 sears, its a 1968 sears gamefisher mdl 217-59900.
Thanks Graham Lamb for the link up with discount marine you had in another post it helped me id this motor and find some parts, now I just need to know the right gas/oil ratio I still think its either 24/1 or 16/1 guess if it smokes to much with one i can try the other huh"

"Wayne Thanks for the link it

"Wayne Thanks for the link it will be a great help got some good info there, You don't by chance know a link with part numbers do you?? I ask because when the guy showed me the motor he cranked it without it being in water it was only ran for a couple of minutes but that may cause the impeller to go bad in the lower end I sure hope not cause the engine runs very good and cranks on the first or second pull, I'd hate to have to work on it so soon but you can never tell??
whistle.gif
"

"Yes, you can go to www3.sears

"Yes, you can go to www3.sears.com and put in your motor model number 217-59900.
Here's a shortcut to it.
http://tinyurl.com/culdk2
Your impeller part number is 26117 and is fairly expensive, although not expensive if you consider what could happen without having it.
Yes, the engine itself is air cooled, but the lower end, therefore the motor near the exhaust port are cooled by water.
Good luck."

I have a 3hp gamefisher and ha

I have a 3hp gamefisher and have chance to buy a 7hp eska for $60. Are they pretty similar or are there more things for me to check on this Eska? Any help would be great. Also I keep reading about the water pump does my 3hp gamefisher have this??? It runs great but I never have water sprating out exhaust.

"Hey Peter,
The 3 and the 7 a

"Hey Peter,
The 3 and the 7 are significantly different than one another. They likely use the same spark plug and might share some carb parts, but otherwise have different pieces. The Eska service manual states "All models with more than 3 hp are equipped with a water pump", which leads me to believe your 3 hp doesn't have one.
Some Gamefisher's were NOT made by Eska, but chances are if it's a bit older, it was.
Post the model number of both motors and we'll be able to tell you if your Gamefisher was made by Eska, and give you more information on the Eska.

I personally have had good luck with these little motors, but the build quality wasn't up to the Mercury's and OMC's of the day. You will see lots of forums where people talk about how they've been stranded due to these motors. Like I said, I've had good luck with mine, but still use one of my old Johnnyrudes when I'm going more than rowing distance from a boat launch.
Parts for the bottom end, as well as tuneup parts are still available for these motors (Tecumseh engine). The only real problem I know of is that if you have electronic ignition and it fails, the manufacturor no longer supplies the parts for it."

"Peter I would have to go with

"Peter I would have to go with what wayne says on this one, I'm still new to this and this is my first motor like this, I thought from a 3 hp up had a water pump for the exhaust but I'd have to go with wayne. Lookes like I'm going to have to clean my carb up, motor runs good but I can't get the choke all the way off or throttle it very fast or it dies. Chances are the way it's acting the carb needs a good cleaning to wash away the varnish build up in it probably just a sticking needle or clogged port"

"THanks Wayne and Joe for your

"THanks Wayne and Joe for your input. I don't know if this will help or not but I had similar problem with my gamefisher when I first bought it. I was having touble with mix at first but then my local marine store sold me some of the exact mix. It comes in a little packet and mixes one gallon of gas, it ran great after and has ever since. The only other problem that I had was when I would try to throttle up it would die. I felt like a idiot after sitting in the middle of the lake and taking motor apart for 20 min or so, but my gas tank has the air port and the hole was clogged. I cleaned it out and made the hole just alittle bigger and haven't had it happen again."

"Here is the mod# for 3hp game

"Here is the mod# for 3hp gamefisher 298586192. The pics below are for the 7hp eska. Any info you can give me is greatly appreciated especially on eska. My dad is picking this up for me and if there is anything I can tell him to look for to make sure its not a dud would help. This one should spit water out pipe in drive correct?

249856.jpg
Motor pic 7hp eska"">
249857.jpg
2nd pic eska 7hp

"Your Gamefisher was made by T

"Your Gamefisher was made by Tanaka, a totally different manufacturer than the Eska. I personally don't know anything about the Tanaka motors, but see there is no impeller on it (I looked it up at www3.sears.com ). That Eska looks exactly like my 1976a, that I had until last year. I ended up giving it to a family friend. I still have the owners manual though. Mine called for 32:1 "regular" or TCW oil (now replaced by TCW-3). I don't know why, but from about this time forward, Eska/Gamefisher stated it was ok to use TCW oil in them even though the motor was air cooled. The bottom end uses SAE90 gear oil.
Yes, the water pump operates on this motor when it is in gear. Don't operate the motor out of water, even though the engine is air cooled or you will wreck the impeller.
The impeller and carb parts are available for this motor. The only thing that I can think of that would make this motor an anchor (besides the piston sticking out the side of the block) would be if the ignition is blown. From your picture it looks like it has a Solid State ignition, which is no longer available. Otherwise it can be a great motor, and is fairly easy to work on.
Good luck."

THanks for all help Wayne. I h

THanks for all help Wayne. I had one other question. On my gamefisher do I need to oil lower end? I don't know where if so any help?

"There are gears and an oil se

"There are gears and an oil seal in the bottom end, but I don't see any fill screw (just looking at www3.sears.com again). I vaguely recall someone posting that the whole plate where the prop is has to come off to change the oil. Please DO NOT do this until you hear a definite answer. Like I said, I don't personally know that motor."

"Wayne I bought that eska 7hp.

"Wayne I bought that eska 7hp. The Model# = 1747-D . My dad picked up and saw it run. Ran real well. That is after they remembered to turn gas valve on. Is there anything, care wise that can keep the solid state ignition going. If it happens to be same model as yours or you are familiar with this model. Any knowledge would be great."

"Wayne
You seem to be the ma

"Wayne
You seem to be the man when it comes to these eska motors, I pulled my carb apart to clean it up today, and I found a couple of rubber parts one is the o-ring that goes around the little dump valve on the bottom of the bowl it just disolved when it was touched so i need a new one of these and there is a little rubber diaphram of some sort on the rear face where it bolts up at the reed valves this little piece was split, i'm not sure what part it plays at this time it is a long slender rubber with a round head to seat it, any ideas about this?? do you happen to know another link with a carb break down?? I'm searching now but so far no luck, also any hints about the high and low idle adjustment..
Peter good luck with your new motor hope it gives you good service.
SAFE BOATING AND GOOD FISHING
thumbs_up.gif
"

"Joe was wondering is that on

"Joe was wondering is that on your gamefisher? If so, go to "ask.com" I found a few different sites some with manuals for purchase. I will look again for the links to them."

"Yeah peter it's on my gam

"Yeah peter it's on my gamefisher, still no luck on an exploded view of this carb and i'm still looking"

"Hey Peter, here's a bit m

"Hey Peter, here's a bit more info on your motor.
http://home.earthlink.net/~brixent/Model1723-1905.htm It's a 1974.
As for keeping the ignition in good shape, there isn't much I know except make sure you don't pull the cord over without the plug being grounded (ie checking for spark etc). That could potentially damage the ignition. Your motor is identical to the 1974 Gamefisher, so you can look up replacement parts at http://tinyurl.com/awu3jk

Joe, Sears has an exploded view of your carb at http://tinyurl.com/bwbj8y. I'm guessing the part you are talking about is 630953 - the pump element. As for the idle and high speed adjustments, carefully seat both needles and turn out approximately 1 turn. This is just a guideline (as stated in the service manual), but would get you up and running. If the motor is already running well, obviously don't touch it.

Joe, thank you for having some confidence in my knowledge of these motors. I am by no means an outboard mechanic, but have owned 10 or so Gamefisher/Eska outboards and have logged probably thousands of hours with them in the past. I've rebuilt the carbs and changed impellers etc. a few times.

Good luck to both of you, and I hope you have fun on the water."

Wayne the exploded view is wha

Wayne the exploded view is what I needed yeah that was the part 630953 I tried to silicone the one i have but i'm not sure that will work so I just ordered one and a bowl drain assy also that should do I hope. Thanks so much

"Wayne, wanted to tell you my

"Wayne, wanted to tell you my neighbor works with small electronics and thought he might beable to duplicate the solid state or some how bypass it. He thought his co-worker has done it before. I will let you know."

"to whom it may concern, i hav

"to whom it may concern, i have carb kits available for sears/eska/ted williams etc 1968-1986 as well as several dozen of these outboards laying around, if anyone needs parts please email me @ [email protected] thank's"

"hi all, this seems to be the

"hi all, this seems to be the place for eska info. i just got a gamefisher 5.0 for free. i was told it needed a magneto? anyway, my model number is 217-585460. any information on this will be greatly appreciated. gas/oil mix? manuels and parts availability. who made it? its in great condition. trying to decide if its worth fixing. thanks in advance."

"Hi all. I have a few questio

"Hi all. I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help with. I just purchased a 7.5 hp and can not read the complete model number. It is 217-_85_40. The serial number is 58-154279. All my research finds it as either a 1979 or 1980. I am trying to find what plug and gap that should be used. Right now it has a 12cy, but appears maybe it should be a 14cy? Also, I assume the oil mis is 50:1? Any advise would be great. Thanks."

"Check out [url=""]http://home

"Check out http://home.earthlink.net/~brixent/Model21759980-585861.htm
I'm assuming it's a 217585840, which makes it a 1980. It originally called for a J13Y, but now should have a J12YC. At least that's what I've been running in mine for the past few years. And yes, 50:1, TCW-3. I know it sounds strange to use TCW oil in an air cooled outboard, but the exhaust is water cooled. The owners manual and service manual both state to use TCW oil.

I hope this helps."

"you can go here for parts.. I

"you can go here for parts.. I just picked up an eska 7 hp a few weeks back and it runs good.. I need to address a few minor things, but all in all, it was a good buy for 100.00 bucks.. It even came with a 6 gal external tank..

Rick"

I have an Eska Mo. 1703 motor.

I have an Eska Mo. 1703 motor. The carb hase a rich and lean screw that turns 1 turn. Should this screw start from a closed position. The manual I have just says it is preset at the factory. Please give me some insight!!!!!!

"That idle screw on a wire had

"That idle screw on a wire had an allen set screw holding it to the jet. If that allen loosened, you could adjust all day long and nothing would come of it. Also the idle had a spring bent across it's knob as a stop- and you could only go so far with out lifting the spring leg so the allen screw could pass under it.

If adjusted right, most would start with out choke, by just opening the idle mixture wide open to the stop, then adjust down when warmed."

Back