Logo

What Temp for 327 Chevy Inboards

machineryman

"I have a 1968 Owens with twin

"I have a 1968 Owens with twin 327s, and they have thermostats that open at about 145, can't actually see temp on the thermostat. The engines run cool acording to the instrument panel gages. I can increase the temperature by changing thermostats or increasing the ability for the pump to "recirculate water' till the thermostats open. However, I don't know what temp to shoot for in an inboard situation. Should these engines run at 170 - 200? or what?

Any help is appreciated.

Bob"

"If they are raw water cooled,

"If they are raw water cooled, you're about right. If FWC, then you cna get by with about 20 or 30 degrees hotter.

Jeff"

"Jeff,

Are you saying that

"Jeff,

Are you saying that in fresh water, where I am, with direct FWC, I should look at about 180 degrees F?

Why are engines run cooler in a marine environment vs automotive environment? Safety due to temp or what?

Bob"

"They work pretty hard compare

"They work pretty hard compared to street engines, so... You should see about 180 'F with a FWC system.

Jeff"

"In a boat I'm rebuilding,

"In a boat I'm rebuilding,30' MacKenzie Cuttyhunk Bassboat, Semi Displacement I have a pair of Palmers 392 cu. 265 hp., B/W 1.51-1 trans. They have been rebuilt. I want to know how much fuel per hour they will burn? I have the Palmer book I bought from MarineEngine.com. I cannot tell for sure from the graph. I beleive at 3200rpm X .52 #'s fuel/220 BPH for about 7 GPH each. I realize there are varibles. Any Palmer people here? If not any engines that compare in cu. for fuel burn per hour? THANX"

Back