Logo

Best place for bilge outlet

cehmass

Advanced Contributor
"i have always thought directl

"i have always thought directly out the side,tho
on my most recent purchase the outlet is plumbed
into the transom then drains out from there.
does this really matter,seems like to me if there was a sudden overflow in the transom area
it could possably back fill into the bilge
any thoughts on this maybe a check valve is the answer
its a 15 footer with outboard"

"best not to put anything in t

"best not to put anything in the discharge hose. they always seem to fail at the worst time.
the shortest hose run will give best performmance. On the higher end boats, there is usually a loop put in the hose, above the discharge port. If you are worried about aa reverse flow, you can always raise the discharge point at the expense of the pump's performance. on a 15 footer, i wouldn't think it would matter much unless you had a cheap no-name pump."

"Logically, the best location

"Logically, the best location would be out the side above the waterline and below the rubrail with a slight upward loop to prevent backwash.
Out the transom might not really cause a problem but exiting the hull would more likely be a better idea. Keep in mind that using ribbed bilge hose will also lessen the pumps efficiency. I always use the whie sanitation hose. It's more expensive but it will last longer and reduce your gph loss because it has less resistance to flow. Also use the largest pump feasible. Should you ever start taking on water you want it out as quickly as possible. May make the difference between making it home or not.
Carrying a spare can't hurt either."

The least amount of holes dril

The least amount of holes drilled into the transom the better. Just gives water another opertunity to get into the plywood over time and rot it out. And we all know that most people don't do proper maintenance which includes re-sealing any thru hull fittings.

Back