Logo

Platinum or iridium still a platinum spark plugs

idyltimelg

"Starting to think about Sprin

"Starting to think about Spring commissioning. Does anyone have experience with platinum spark plugs? Are they worth the extra expense? I have late 80's carburetted 454's in a carver 38, and generally run at fairly low rpm's."

"my impression, is that they w

"my impression, is that they were designed to provide long service life (~100k miles) in road vehicles. I change even nickle plated plugs every 2 years in a salt water boat, due to rust. If you have extremely difficult to reach plugs, AND are a long way from salt, they maybe you can try 'em."

"if you have an unmodified eng

"if you have an unmodified engine, I'd say no, they are not cost effective. You are much better off putting the money into an electronic ignition system if you engines still have the mallory point type distributors.

You won't hurt anything by switching to them other than your wallet.

btw, iridium and platinum are NOT the same animal, especially in spark plugs. the only thing they have in common is that they are incorporated into a spark plug from varying levels from a thin plating to full part."

"Not to be argumentative, but

"Not to be argumentative, but since I had no clue what iridium is, and before I asked my question, I looked it up and found the following:

"Iridium (pronounced /??r?di?m/) is the chemical element with atomic number 77, and is represented by the symbol Ir. A very hard, brittle, silvery-white transition metal of the platinum family."

I don't profess to know the difference, if any, between what is sold as platinum, and what is sold as iridium, or if the latter is just the marketers way of upselling something that sounds exotic(iridium plugs $11-23 each vs. platinum at $7-8 each).

I don't mind regular plug changes, so $2.00 plugs work for me, unless there is a significant performance difference other than longevity."

".."I don't profess to

".."I don't profess to know the difference,"

I'd say about 8 bucks each! Seriously, you'd be better off with "ordinary" plugs, changed every few years. And NEVER, ever forget to put anti-seize on the threads!

Jeff"

platinum and iridium are two d

platinum and iridium are two distinct precious metals though chemically related. the prices of both types of a given brand reflects most of the differences. The differences between the same type but different brands reflects the quantity of the precious metal used; more $$ maps to more of the metal.

The functional difference between them is that the iridium plugs will provide about twice the life (number of sparks) of a platinum plug. The iridium plugs usually have a smaller center electrode diameter - this translates into they will spark with less HV applied.

"I would agree to use regular

"I would agree to use regular plus vs platinum. If you were working on an 08 Lexus, I would say otherwise. One problem with platinums is that it becomes dificult to tell how old they are as the electrode doesn't show wear. Thus they get replaced anyway."

"And they SHOULD get replaced!

"And they SHOULD get replaced! I've put three sets of such plugs in my PT Cruiser, which is notoriously hard on ignition components.

Jeff"

"[b] And NEVER, ever forget to

" And NEVER, ever forget to put anti-seize on the threads

Jeff, you might want to look at NGK web site on that

i use oil"

Oil won't last; anti-seize

Oil won't last; anti-seize will. Are they at NGK saying NOT to use anti-seize?

Jeff

"sounds like their issue is we

"sounds like their issue is well founded, for aluminum heads.

If you use the appropriate tools and some common sense, i can't see how the anti-seize can hurt."

MAKO MARK

UHM

most good

MAKO MARK

UHM

most good marine motors have aluminum head???

dude stick to ur PCM motors that are sub marine please

"Ah-hah! The infamous torque

"Ah-hah! The infamous torque wrench--the most destructive tool in a mechanic's toolbox--rears its ugly head again.

A good mechanic will install plugs without one of those infernal devices, using the feel plus angle method, and never have a problem. Frankly, the chance of cylinder head threads coming out with the plug (or it snapping off) are far greater without anti-seize.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeff"

"Jeff , Your point abou the t

"Jeff , Your point abou the torque wrench has validity. In Season 1 our our Silverton 34C adventure, we had torqued the plugs in around 20 ft lbs. It was that season the engines started running poorly...two of eight ceramic tops were cracked from angle torque. We are now into season 4 and I can't wait for the cliff hanger ( as they say in the TV business)

I do however, use a torque wrench when ever necessary to be sure I am either NOT working against galling or have actually gotten something right and tightened it securely. EASY to see how torque wrenches are implements of destruction."

"No reason to use a torque wre

"No reason to use a torque wrench. When you feel the plug seat snug you give it just a little bump beyond. I usually choke up on the wrench handle to insure that I dont over tighten the plugs. As far as platinum or iridium plugs. Unless you are racing and have a highly modified engine The stock AC Delcos are more than enough. I dont even use the fancy plugs in my race car. Stock Autolites in the race car.Save your money and change the plugs on a regular maintainace schedule.I change my oil at the begining of the season and at the end of the season no matter if I didnt run her as much as I normally do. At these times I remove the plugs. Brush clean with a small, fine brass wire brush and regap unless it is time for replacement. This tells me how well the engine is burning the fuel."

"Spot on, James! You can work

"Spot on, James! You can work on my engines any time (and that's a huge compliment).

The plugs on Chrysler 318/ 360s are tough to reach, so I made up a trick plug socket: I welded a 1/4 inch drive socket inside the 3/8 drive end. I use an open end wrench to 'crack' the plug, then spin it out with a 1/4 inch ratchet. No way a 3/8 drive ratchet would fit.

Jeff

PS: One more word on torque wrenches....I too use one, to torque head bolts and few other applications. But I make darn sure the threads are perfectly clean and lubricated FIRST. That's one of the problems with using that infamous tool--it can trick the heck out of you if the bolting connection isn't just right."

Back