Logo

Fuel problems

the_tassie_devil

Regular Contributor
"G'day all,

Not sure if

"G'day all,

Not sure if anybody has suffered from the same problem that I have encountered with the contents of my Fuel System, as I have never come across it down here in Tasmania.

From what I can gather, the vessel was last registered in 2001, and hadn't been used since.

I imported my 1972 Chris Craft Gull Wing, 16 footer, and before departing USA I drained the Fuel Tank, via pumping it out, and rotten gasoline came out.

I removed the tank and turned it upside down to drain out the remainder of the contents and left it that way for a week or more, in the hot Sun that we have down here.

When I turned it back over, I observed a black gooey substance has dtiped onto the ground, and a trail of this "Stuff" was coming out of the Pickup Orifice.

Further, the pickup tube, and fittings were clogged solid, and the Fuel Line was also clogged.

This Black stuff was very difficulty to remove, and required poking and scraping and was hard to dissolve in Kerosene and Brakleen, and even Acetone took its' time to shift it.

The Fuel Lines I am going to fully replace, but any idea what it might be, and what substance I can use to diossolve it from inside the Tank?

Thanks,

Bruce.

PS. Could it have something to do with possible Ethanol Contamination, or any substance used to protect a fuel system during Winter Storeage?"

"Hi Bruce

That sounds like

"Hi Bruce

That sounds like just very old gas. I think I would take the tank somewhere and got it boiled out with steam.Up here in Ontario Canada
snow.gif
we have Rad and gas tank repair shops. They Put the tanks in very very hot water with some cleaning stuff in it and they come out just like new. I hope you have something like that Way awy down south.
sun.gif

Frank"

"Sorry that should have been g

"Sorry that should have been get it boiled out.
yawn.gif
it's been a very long 39 days of work."

"No, Galvanised steel.

I th

"No, Galvanised steel.

I think I will take it to my local Radiator place and get him to stich it in the Caustic Tank.

That should do the trick, but it will also remove the original certification stickers and instructions.

Bruce."

"Why don't you take a pict

"Why don't you take a picture of that info. then tape it back on the tank when you get it back. Just a thought.
light_bulb.gif

Frank"

Back