Logo

Mariner 40HP Need to find year Model

scoota

Hi there i have just bought a

Hi there i have just bought a boat with a 40hp mariner on it but i cant find out what year model it is on the plate it has a number which is
ELO 40 6E9-l-452681 its a 2 cyl oil feed engine 2 stroke if you can help me that would be great. Also if any one has any ideas i took it out the other day and after about half an hour the alarm on engine came on. so i trued the engine off and checked the oil level and all was good. Turned the key back on and drove it easy back to the boat ramp. When i put it back on the boat i noticed i hadn't opened the breather on the feul tank could this have caused my alarm?
regards scott

"Scott, that is a 1990, Yamaha

"Scott, that is a 1990, Yamaha built (for Merc) Mariner model.

I'm going to have to dig a bit in the manual but think that this model only had a low oil and temp alarm, so the closed fuel vent could just be coincidental.

Since this motor is "new to you" do you know the last time the waterpump was serviced?

If the answer is no, or not in the last two years it is due and at minimum should have a new impeller (but personally I would go for a kit and do the seals as well).

I would suspect your alarm was more than likely an "overheat" - that would be most common since you checked the oil..."

Thank you so much Graham for t

Thank you so much Graham for the reply. Yeah im not sure when the water pump was last done so will change it. One thing i noticed and it mighten be a problem but i thought id ask anyway is that when the engine is at idle or low speed it has great water flow yet when it gets up and goes the water flow weakens. could this have anything to do with the motor sitting to high or low in the water? What should the hight be set at?

"That absolutely sounds like a

"That absolutely sounds like a waterpump issue.

The water pump works by "displacing" water up the tube to the powerhead at idle/lower rpms and by centrifigal force at higher rpms.

If the impeller is starting to go or one of the various seals, particularly on the water pump cover, is shot, the extra "pressure" at higher rpms causes the water to take the easy way out rather than travelling up the tube to the base of the powerhead - resulting in (ultimately) an overheat.

You have described the "classic" symptoms of "water pump service required"..."

Ok thank you so much for your

Ok thank you so much for your help? Coul you tell me where i would be able to find out what year model my boat is? Its a stacer seahorse 4.1 meter any ideas?

"In relation to what?

The c

"In relation to what?

The cavitation plate (the horizontal fin) just above the propeller should be directly in line with the bottom of the boat. Plus or minus an inch is no big deal, but if too high you will suck air - too low will create extra drag (not a big deal but will affect performance) and will "bottom out" quicker in shallow water...

I will have a look through my lists of "stuff" to see if I have any listings for your boat model..."

Back