Logo

HIGHER ALTITUDE OPS

nicknack2

Regular Contributor
"As I’m still trying to figure

"As I’m still trying to figure out what is wrong with my 200 HP Johnson, I’m going to re-jet it, the motor was set up at see level (FL) and here in AZ I’m at about 4000 feet of altitude, so I’m thinking on changing the thee orifices/jets on the carbs, the idle orifice(don’t have a adjusting screw) since the motor smokes a lot… and does not idles smooth, would I also need to change the intermediate orifice (located right above the idle orifice) as well as the high speed jet??? I have no issues at WOT just smoke at idle and my mix is right at 50/1, now where can I find the right size of jet for my altitude the book (Seloc) does not have a chart for jet # recommendation for different altitudes it just states that orifices need to be changed (leaning the motor at high altitude) but does not give any references, so the # engraved on the jet represents the size?? So a bigger number means bigger jet?? To lean the motor to my altitude do I need a bigger jet or smaller jet???"

On Merc motors you would go to

On Merc motors you would go to .002" smaller jets. It would help to know what year your motor is.

Just a piece of advice:
It mi

Just a piece of advice:
It might depend of air or fuel jets.
If not mistaken the idle and intermediate are AIR jets and needs to be enlarged (bigger).
The main is a fuel jet and must be reduced (smaller).

Morten you are right... but do

Morten you are right... but does any body know how big I need to go??(4000 Ft elevation) I'm going to leave the main jet alone since I'm not having issues there... but what about the number on the air jets??? the bigger the number on the jet the bigger the orifice on the jet???

"if its rich go smaller/lean g

"if its rich go smaller/lean go larger
i think the question is by how much
that may be a gussing game depending on given info,there are is one other variable involved here as well , outside temp .not being controlled by an ecm ,those little computers do more than tell the engine when to fire/
trigger injectors.they compensate for this typ
of issue ."

"Guys, I might have the answer

"Guys, I might have the answer to the running rich problem, please see the picture below, fuel comes out of this hole in the carb (bottom right carb), float perhaps???

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/fch2cxr/Carb.jpg"

Also I was looking for the rebuild kit for this carb, but the parts list does not show my model having two jets (orifices, idle and intermediate) the parts list shows a carb that has orifice and one idle screw... I guess the previous owner/mechanic changed the carbs on my motor, so I’ll have to figure out what carbs I have on…"

i had a similar prob mith my 9

i had a similar prob mith my 90 /
did a carb job and never saw a drop of
fuel after.

"Thanks Charles, do you know w

"Thanks Charles, do you know what model/year of carb is that one??? by did a carb job you mean rebuilt??? I already opened up the carb and everything was spotless clean all orifices were clean as well as all jets, blew thru them and none were clogged, the bowl was clean, I mean clean zero dirt, tomorrow I'm going to adjust the float level and see if that stops the overflow of fuel thru the hole in the front of the carb... it is odd these overflow just happen the very last outing, it did never do it before..."

"jus a simple rebuild,mine loo

"jus a simple rebuild,mine looked clean as well
(spotless)installed new parts problem gone.
pay close attn to float.
mine is a 87 2 seperate carbs 2bbl each v4 crossflow"

"Nicknack, I have six known g

"Nicknack, I have six known good carbs and throttle butterfly plates that are correct for your engine. They are the ones with an idle screw adjustment instead of the fixed jet. Also, it looks like one of the ears is broken on the carb you pictured...
I also have a starter...

Let me know if you would like to buy them."

"Oh by the way, I think you ar

"Oh by the way, I think you are going down the wrong path by trying to re-jet the carbs. I think your problems are NOT jet related. Get that engine running at WOT correctly first."

"Start off by giving those car

"Start off by giving those carbys a good clean check the float levels, be carefull with compressed air as to much will damage sealing areas omc recommend 25psi, i use a pressurised can of carby cleaner which comes with a tube, i can then trace through all passage ways to ensure the clear.

Your carbs have air bleed jets, so larger number = more air into the fuel and leaner running.

Leave the inter and high speed alone, the inter jets get you from idle to flat out,once your happy with the low speed do a flat out run for a couple of minutes and remove the plus and look at how they are burning, because your so high you wont damage the engine because its too lean, it my be too rich"

"Dough I'm going to fix th

"Dough I'm going to fix the overflow issue first, I adjusted the float today and after I put it all together noticed that the lip of float gasket was hanging out and leaking from there, the gaskets are rubber gasket and I guess it stretched after I opened to do the float job, so I'm going to order the full kit and just reseal everything and install new needle and seat...
but just in case how much you want for the parts minus the started?? mine is working fine I took it all apart and gave it a good cleaning, I guess that day I left the motor w/o the cover got it wet and made it act up for a couple of days... but give the price and we will see, the problem is that I’m beginning to think that the motor that Robert sold me was all pieced together from different models and even when it might be a remanufactured power head I’m having lots of issues just ordering parts because non of the parts sheets matches the serial number of the motor…..

thanks Jamie, I'll do that as soon as the leak gets fixed.."

"I got the bowl gasket replace

"I got the bowl gasket replaced today, readjusted the float level and stopped leaking, I went to the lake and ran really good for a bout 20 minutes@ 5000 rpms, it suddenly bogged down and died on me, I checked the main fuel filter and noticed dirty fuel, came home drained the tank(I'm finally using the tank on my boat 55 Gal tank) and I noticed water in the fuel, I removed the fuel sending unit on the tank and pumped all the fuel/water that I could from the tank, it seemed almost empty... maybe a small amount of water, level maybe ay 16th of an inch of fuel/ water, I added 22 gallons of fuel/oil and ran fine for another 20 minutes and again noticed dirty fuel on the fuel filter, I'm off tomorrow so I will replace the fuel water separator and the regular filter and see what happens… any tricks on how make sure all the water is out???"

"I changed the F/W separator f

"I changed the F/W separator for one with a bowl in the bottom and installed a regular plastic one piece fuel filter (before I had a a two piece glass one), the boat ran good, 45 MPH at 5300 RPMS not bad for a 1969 21’ Stamas (yeah I know it is heavy) It made me happy to see my motor finally run right for once, my main issue still is lots of smoke at idle and also RPMs at idle are at 1000 RPMs so when I go in gear it grinds, how can I lower the RPMs on this motor which don’t have idle screw adjustment???"

"Nicknack...$120.00 for comple

"Nicknack...$120.00 for complete six carb set, guaranteed good, but I would do a carb re-build with new kits before use. These are very clean. Plus shipping. Includes air silencer.
Gets you closer to "correct" for your motor."

"Thanks Doug I’m beginning to

"Thanks Doug I’m beginning to believe that only the bottom end of my motor is 98, not only my carbs are different than a 98, but also the silencer looks older IAW the parts list on one of the web sites my cover belongs to a 1993 (the last year Johnson had fixed idle orifices) so I’m going to call Robert with the RPH number to see if he can contact the Evenrude/Johnson to find out the exact year and model of my power head, but if those carbs that you have work for my power head I buy them from you in a split second..."

wow! is this the motor you bou

wow! is this the motor you bought in florida as a 2000?...........and it has been frankenstiened?

i think i would be calling the dude i bought it from and see what he is willing to do for you..............i would even talk to a lawyer and try to get some of my money back..

first it was supposed to be a 2000 now its a 98 that has been pieced together with an older eng.............that would not fly with me at all...........not to mention all the probs you have had and money you have spent on this "newly rebuilt" powerhead.

"I will not mis-represent anyt

"I will not mis-represent anything to you.
These carbs, throttle butterfly plates, and air silencer came off a 1996 200 E200STLEDM.
They are from my first powerhead failure. Still unknown as to why it failed.
Carbs are VERY clean (actually they look new), but as I said, put a kit in 'em.
And they WILL fit and work well on the powerhead you have, assuming it is a 1998."

"Yes, David, same motor. He h

"Yes, David, same motor. He has really had some problems. I am trying to help him as much as I can...He sure is a tenacious dude, working as hard as he can on this engine.

Lawyer would tell him, caveat emptor...(spelling?) let the buyer beware, and then send him a bill.

By the way, lawyers speak latin when they aren't speaking s**t.

Hey I tried to post the s**t word, and this board censored me!!! Wow! But you guys get the idea."

"well thats fraud............y

"well thats fraud............you cant do that..........he thought he was buying a good 2000 now he has a pieced together...well who knows what............you know how hard it is going to be to find parts?!

just because johnny cash made a good song about a frankenstiened car doesnt mean you want it!

i know its "buyer beware" and you buy things "as is".........but come on man this was a dealer that sold this eng, who also claimed it had been freshly rebuilt...............its not like he bought it out of some guys back yard!

if it was me i would probably end up spending more money-----geting out of jail and spending money on fines for whipping this guys a**.........."

"Well the only concern trying

"Well the only concern trying to get at least some money back is that I bought it in November received it in December and it has been almost 3 months now…then have been trying to get it right ever since at least spending another ~ $800 on fuel pumps, fuel pumps kits, s-plugs, wires among others and it was supposed to be a “turn key engine”, I think too much time have past since I bought the motor, but I guess It would not hurt trying to contact Robert the seller..."

i wasnt trying to ruffle any f

i wasnt trying to ruffle any feathers nor was i trying to say that you didint end up with a good eng...........but like you said it was supposed to be a turn key deal.....it just seems to me you are due a little help...especially with the economy the way it is.

Back