Logo

30 sputtering

jrod1540

Contributing Member
"alright as many of you may kn

"alright as many of you may know I have had a very sick 3.0 since the summer, and actually I have brought it back from the dead, i do have as question or list of things that you all might have me check from these symptoms:

here we go :

86 17ft sea ray now does about 35ish at 3600 rpms and again this is a 3.0 gm 86 model, now for some reason i just cant get it up any higher than 3600rpms, i have adjusted the timing as best i can cause i have an aftermarket electronic timing ,and if i set it to factory it runs horrible, i have tuned/rebuilt carb, new head gasket, resurfaced the head, basically rebuilt the top end, but still it makes kinda of a sputtering noise when i take off at first and doesnt seem to pull that much or as much as it did in during the summer, any ideas and how hard/expensive would it be to try converting back to a points system"

What type of electronic conver

What type of electronic conversion do you have? If it's just something like a Pertronix ignitor it's just a matter of removing the ignitor from the distributor and dropping in a set of points. Cheap and easy.
How far from the factory specs is your ignition timing? The elect ignitor shouldn't change it much / any. Are you sure your not out of time somewhere else?

[i]how hard/expensive would it

how hard/expensive would it be to try converting back to a points system

$75 for a brand new points dist. with cap. ebay item 230157501301

They work great on the 3.0 OMC

They work great on the 3.0 OMC I know I got one. Thanks to Hy Stat he told me about them. I would also reset the valves.

"Funny - They aren't adver

"Funny - They aren't advertising them right. I have sold two used ones on eBay for almost the same $ recently.
They had 8 for sale. I emailed them maybe 2 years ago or so and offered a decent price for all 8. I think $350. They declined.

I told Frank. He bought one (last year?).
Their inventory is now at 7.
"

Back