Logo

360 rotationHelp what do I have

si_escape

"New to me, bought as-is with

"New to me, bought as-is with a bad starboard eng. I have aquired a 1978 Silverton w/twin 360 Chryslers. FYI port eng. runs fine. Starboard eng. had plug wires gone and no starter. Not sure of rotation or type of trany I have. Some possible clues: Cast on the eng block as near as I can read are as follows Model M360 B or 8 WR10-954 Ser.# E-508 634 Part# 10-20-78. On the intake manifold cast #s 05110 & 2848704, seem to be the same on the port manifold. Trany had "20" cast in case. Brass tag,painted red rivited to trany reads VELVET DRIVE Model 10-17-001, Ratio 1:1, Serial #10255 Borg Warner,Munice Ind. I did buy another eng on Ebay and was told it was a repl. eng and trany. Now that I just got it I'm not sure? Clues on repl eng. I was told it's out of a 1976 Luhrs with 250 hrs. Not so sure it's direct replacement drop in or even if I can even use it. Intake maniflod does have casting firing order of 18436572, and cast clockwise arrows of dist rotation. The trany reads Velvet Drive Model ASI-71C, Ratio 1:1, ser.# 91622 Borg Warner. Casting on block read ,4179930-360, one other thing the exhaust manifolds on repl.eng are pointing to the rear of the eng. opposite of my exsisting eng's since they face the stern. A lot of info any help would be appreciated.Thanks, Steve"

"Steve, finding out witch way

"Steve, finding out witch way the engine runs is easy, if your willing to take a valve cover off.
Someone may have a quicker way (by the info you provided) but I don't.

All you have to do is watch the valves of any 1 cylinder,as you rotate the engine.
If the intake valve starts to move immediately as the exhaust valve closes (of the same cylinder), you are rotating the engine in it's normal running rotation.
If that makes seance , good.
If not,, let us know,, were here for you.

Fred 156-M"

"Sharp idea, Fred! Wouldn'

"Sharp idea, Fred! Wouldn't have thought of that.

The starboard engine in an older boat is almost always a reverse rotator. Newer boats do the reverse rotation in the tranny.

Jeff"

"Thanks for the replies Fred &

"Thanks for the replies Fred &Jeff. I've been gone, sorry I didn't get back sooner. The boat is 200 miles away, so hard to get fast answers. No problem pulling valve cover to ck rotation, excellent idea. Both tranys, exsisting and the one I just got on ebay have tags saying Velvet Drive, Ratio 1:1, but they look different. Clues, as best I can, were described in original posting. How many Velvet drive tranys were used with a 1978 Chry. 360. Judging from the direction of the exhaust manifold on the ebay motor I just got it was a direct drive thru the stern. My engs face the stern with the tranys pointed towards the bow. Will my exsisting manifolds bolt up to this ebay block? Thanks, Steve"

"I just purchased a 28' pe

"I just purchased a 28' pearsons with a 360 in it, it has a weber carb that was filthy so I cleaned it and it starts much faster and easier. My question is when the engine is in neutral it seems to run just fine (maybe a little off on the timing?) but when I put it in drive and give it gas it just doesn't want to get up to rpm's smoothly and runs real rough and even then it wont get to running good. It was worse before I cleaned the carb so I'm wondering what to do. It looks like it has a new distributor and wires....Someone please help me get this boat running good, I can send pics if needed, thank you in advance, Anthony"

That's that carb! You can

That's that carb! You can put the accelerator pump rod in the closest to the pivot hole (if it's not there already) and that might help.

The best cure is an Edelbrock 1409.

Jeff

"When I cleaned the carb the a

"When I cleaned the carb the accelerator pump rod was there, is there something I should have done with it other than putting it back where it was? Is this carb maybe the wrong one? There is what looks to me like a vaccum line that is plugged with a golf tee is this something to change? Sorry Jeff I'm not an expert at all this...."

"Jeff I looked at pictures of

"Jeff I looked at pictures of the 1409 and it looks identical to the one I have, with the edelbrock sticker and all, anything I can do with that one to fix this problem?"

"The Carter AFB carb (&#34

"The Carter AFB carb ("Weber") came from the factory with vicious backfires built in--no extra charge! I fought it on my two carbs for years without totally eliminating it. Really nice when you juice the throttle and a motor stalls (especially while pulling into the slip on a windy day!)

Try this:

1. Pull the flame arrestor and work the throttle. Do you see a squirt of gas sho0t out just above the primary butterflies? If yes, go to # 2 below. If not, pull the carb and repair the accelerator pump circuit.

2. Find the pivot arm for the accelerator pump. Note that it has multiple holes in it. Put the rod in the hole closest to the pivot--and I don't care where it WAS.

Good luck!

Jeff

PS: The Edlebrock fits the manifold without modification, but you'd need to wire up the electric choke and buy a different flame arrestor."

Back