Logo

Long or short shaft evinrude

stamas

I have a 20hp evinrude model n

I have a 20hp evinrude model no.E20CRCE.How can you tell if it is a long or short shaft ob.Can you tell from the model no. or do you have to measure between two points.Thanks

"welcome to marine engine!

"welcome to marine engine!

your model # usually shows the leg length see here http://www.skoterskroten.com/img/arsmodellstabell.pdf

but yours doesnt seem to have the length, only that it is a canadian rope start made in '89

its probably a 20" but if you really want to know you can measure from the top of the lower unit (right around the anti-ventilation plate) to the top of the exhaust housing (where the motor bolts to the exhaust housing/leg)"

"bob, thats a good link.......

"bob, thats a good link..........i now have it in my favs

it is a lot easier to understand than my rambling

thanx"

"Still confused on short or lo

"Still confused on short or long shaft evinrude model no.E20CRCE.One sight I was told about explained about the shaft length your boat would need(somewhat helpfull),the other sight gives a breakdown of the model no. and from the way I read it,if there is an L between the CR and CE then it is a 20inch,if there is no letter then it is a 15inch so I would assume it was a short shaft but the person I am getting it from said long shaft.Any more thoughts besides hauling it to an evinrude dealer?Thanks"

"Get out your tape measure...

"Get out your tape measure...

249696.gif
"

"Thanks Graham ,that is were I

"Thanks Graham ,that is were I took the measurement and it comes to 16 inches so on a boat with a 20 inch transom it would sit way to high.I got this motor from a marine dealer(not an evinrude dealer) and he still thinks it's a long shaft.I will have to bring it back and have him set it up on a boat with a 20 inch transom.Thanks"

"To clear any confusion....

"To clear any confusion....

A short shaft is: 15"
A Long shaft (AKA Standard shaft) is: 20"
An Extra Long is: 25"
And XX Long is 30".

Id say, looking at the size of your motor in Hp you have a short shaft. You will need to jack it up to suit your transom"

"I'm not sure if that clea

"I'm not sure if that clears up the confusion or adds to it.

20" shaft length is a long shaft. 15" shaft length is called "standard" by some manufacturers but "short" by many others.

The one thing that is clear is that Larry's engine is not a long shaft model. The model number indicates that is is a standard (aka short) shaft model. The long-shaft (20")version has E20CRLCE as the model number, as he has deduced.

The measurement to make to confirm it is shown on the diagram and is made from where the top of the transom/ mounting plate will be in the clamp bracket. Assuming that it is from there to the cavitation plate that measures 16" it confirms the engine as a 15" model, described as short-shaft or standard-shaft. The long-shaft model would be 5" longer.

As it stands that engine is not suitable for a 20" transom. Either the transom would have to be cut to accommodate it (not jacked up) or the engine modified to make it into a long shaft.

However it it has been supplied by a dealer as a long-shaft model then it should go back to him!"

"Thanks VicS,your explanation

"Thanks VicS,your explanation was right on,I was pretty sure it was a short shaft when I looked at it and I even said so to the dealer but he was so insistent he made me a believer.You can be sure I'll be contacting him.Thanks again"

Back