Logo

What paint to use on stern drive

abodiesonly

"can anyone tell me what kind

"can anyone tell me what kind of paint is used on the stern drives? is it a special kind of panit? if so where can i purchase some??? thank you for your time,,,,"

"There are several types avail

"There are several types available that can be used on OD's. None of which can be metal addatives due to posible electolosis and which, unfortunately, doesn't make them as effective. Nonetheless, if you feel you need to paint it, first check with yoru manufacturer of rthe outdrive not to void any warranties if they exist. Then most suppliers can tell you what is best for your type OD.

The ole tin-based paints for bottom painting is no longer legal in VA but other have newer additives and some even acceptible copper-based. If you paint the bottom of yoru vessel be sure to leave 1" gap on the tramson paint adjoining the OD casing.

Everyone has their preference of paint manufacturers so its out there for YOUR choosing.

lol.gif
Happy Motor Boating!!!!"

"Tim: if you keep it in a slip

"Tim: if you keep it in a slip, everything Cholly said applies. If it is a trailer boat, you can get away with a lot of other choices as you don't need the antifouling properties.

Final word to add - don't paint any anodes (zincs) you may have on the drive"

"hey thanks cholly and makomar

"hey thanks cholly and makomark i do keep it in a slip..what paint would u use? what brand? where to purchase it?,,,,,thanks for your time guys....tim"

"Tim:

seriously, go ask you

"Tim:

seriously, go ask your slip mates at the marina where your stay about what works and what doesn't. I've found that 'local knowledge' helps a bunch in paint selection. Ideally, check with those that have same brand of outdrive. Then look at their drives to see what's real and what's BS.

The other driver is frequency of use. I'd say, if you can run every other day, at fast cruise, all summer, you could probably skip the paint. If you move the boat three times a summer, you'll find the most expensive paint doesn't 'perform' well."

"I find it much easier to load

"I find it much easier to load it on the trailer once a month, spray on some bleach, let it sit 5 minutes and hose it down. I check zincs, top up grease fittings and change kicker oil at the same time. All in about an hour. I don't even bother with bottom paint on the hull, just spray on the bleach and any fuzz disolves away. Leave it in more than a month in summer and the barni's just start to appear."

Tim: I suggest same as Makoma

Tim: I suggest same as Makomark....ask around yoru marina buddies in yoru geographic area. They usually have a good handle on what works best for the area. The only thing you will need to decide then ...is what color to paint it.

Back