Logo

Fuel Filters at carb

jb914

Contributing Member
"i need to put some fuel filte

"i need to put some fuel filters on my 360's before the carb. i have the racor spin on filters already, but, need extra before the carb. what is the best filter for this application? where is the best price online? the local NAPA had the clear plastic ones and i don't think those are marine approved. thanks"

Glass or plastic filters aren&

Glass or plastic filters aren't legal! But NAPA also sells a nice metal can filter. I use the 5/16 line size with MARINE rubber hoses double hose clamped at each end. (Only one hose clamp fits on the filter itself.) This is a safe setup that's easy to change.

Jeff

We have the correct Marine fil

We have the correct Marine filters that actually screw into the fuel line like they are suppose to.
The only difference from the factory ones is they are maybe 1/4 inch longer ( not a problem though ) If you need them just drop me a line.'

David

I don't think clamps on fu

I don't think clamps on fuel lines are legal. You have to have hoses made or use hard line with flare fittings and screw in fuel filters.

Dan

"Clamp on filters ARE legal lo

"Clamp on filters ARE legal long as the correct, A-1 (alcohol proof) hoses are used, and double clamped at each end.

On the screw on kind, I saw a virtually new one with the entire end of the can broken out due to vibration (or??) Wouldn't have one of those on my boat.

Jeff"

On my Chrysler boat with a M36

On my Chrysler boat with a M360 the filter is located between the carb and pump ( factory location ) and we have never had any issue with failure or had any issues with our customers. If these have been used for 40 years w/o issue that's good enough for me. My boat does have rubber hose between the hull and the engine which allows for vibration without any issues.

Does anyone here have a copy o

Does anyone here have a copy of the ABYC fuel system requirements? On my last survey the inspector specifically looked at my fuel system and yes you can have rubber hose and clamps on the supply side but not between the fuel pump and carb. My 440s have factory installed filters between the pump and carb and they have the correct steel lines and flare fittings. He told me these can be replaced with the Coast Guard approved rubber fuel lines with steel flare fittings. Anybody else have any other information?

Dan

I am not at my boat and I can&

I am not at my boat and I can't remember for sure but I think the original filter cross references to a Fram G19 or G21 that fits early (about 1976 Elderado's). They are obsolete but sometimes available online if you look hard enough. I bought a case last time I found them. There are many similar filters around but I think they use 5/16" lines and the oem ones use 3/8" line.

Dan

"Good points, but every outboa

"Good points, but every outboard engine with a carb I can think of uses rubber hoses to the carb(s).

Jeff"

"Your right Jeff, I can't

"Your right Jeff, I can't think of a outboard w/o rubber hoses, but remember these are outside the boat, not on a interior space of the boat. That might be the difference in whats allowed.

Dave"

"I'll admit, y'all mad

"I'll admit, y'all made some good points on using those rubber hoses. I've had zero problems doing it that way, and they're easy to change (evil-nol) so I'll keep on doing that way. But I will NOT recommend anyone else do it that way in the future.

Jeff"

Back