Logo

Electric Shift Stern Drive

the_tassie_devil

Regular Contributor
"G'day all,

Is it possi

"G'day all,

Is it possible to check the operation of the Electric Shift in the OMC Leg by simply earthing out the Leg and then in turn, putting power to each of the wires?

Plus, if this is possible, and a recommended way, will the shifting operation be audible?

Thanks,

Bruce."

"you can check the coils, but

"you can check the coils, but the problem area in those drives was the clutch springs and you pretty much need to be in the water for that.
for electrical, can just check F and reverse wires with ohm meter referencing ground (earth)... should be around 5 or 6 ohms as I recall"

"Thanks Hy Stat,

The measur

"Thanks Hy Stat,

The measurement worked out well, and hopefully, the springs will be okay.

Now for locating a pair of Ball Gears.

Bruce."

"G'day Pete,

I am not s

"G'day Pete,

I am not sure where you are finding the Press-on Ball Gears, but all I can find is the Bolt-on type.

Would appreciate it if you could post a link to the Press-on type, as mine do need replacing, especially as I have it in pieces at the moment.

If the Press-on ones aren't available, can I simply replace the shaft and gear with a Bolt-on type, as they seem to be more plentiful?

Thanks,

Bruce.

PS. I haven't removed the one in the Leg as yet, and thjerefore the question, is that a Bolt-on or a Press-on type?"

"Sure you can do that..the bes

"Sure you can do that..the best way is to replace what you have, instead of buying new parts check out these eBay auctions
eBay auction NEW OMC STRINGER BALL GEAR 908063 Item number: 160319490645
eBay auction OMC Ball Gear Kit Stringer 1974-1985 All Hardware ebasicpower.com
SEE OUR EBAY STORE FOR ALL YOUR OMC NEEDS Item number: 230328881906"

[i]can I simply replace the sh

can I simply replace the shaft and gear with a Bolt-on type

don't think so... you'd have to replace the whole intermediate housing.
I believe those early units used straight roller bearings where the later ones were tapered roller bearings in the housing.... also different spacing bearing to bearing. Different oil seal land dia. maybe too

"That'd be right.

Mine

"That'd be right.

Mine has the Tapered Roller Bearings, so I will just have to keep on looking.

How can I tell the actual Year of my unit? The Model Number is 979934, and looks like Serial Number W1139.

Is there a way of identifying the actual year of the Hull?

The only item of identification I have there is the Fuel Tank which was certified in May, 1973, and built in Pennsylvania.

Bruce."

"G'day Pete,

I am afrai

"G'day Pete,

I am afraid that none of those numbers in that site match the Model Number on my Unit.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Bruce."

Back