Logo

Experts Identify this Motor amp Outdrive

captaindada

"Ok Experts - Identify this Mo

"Ok Experts - Identify this Motor and Outdrive... I picked it up in Texas - guy ran it but couldn't tell me much about it..... I know the outdrive is MUCH older then the engine....

249386.jpg
Motor - Identify"">
249387.jpg
Outdrive ???

"no expert here, but that is a

"no expert here, but that is a 225 cid Buick V6 (OMC 150HP or 155HP) engine.
drive is an OMC high profile electric shift drive.
Years used were 1966 to 1972.

The drive and engine are the same age.

tons of info here:
http://hhscott.com/evinrude/buick_v6.htm"

"odd place to split the interm

"odd place to split the intermediate instead of removing it from the engine.
But... while it IS split like that, inspect the water shutters and replace if necessary.
Notice the exhaust manifolds have NO risers.

That setup relies heavily on the water shutters to keep waves and wake from backflooding the engine."

"I plan on tearing EVERYTHING

"I plan on tearing EVERYTHING apart.... I didn't realize this motor would be so little HP though..

I only paid $250 for the entire setup you see.... I was hoping for around 170hp - 200hp....

This is going into that Glassmaster project boat I was gonna put in twin 120 I/Os.

JohnnyO"

Very interesting - Looks like

Very interesting - Looks like if I convert it to EFI and add a few more conversion parts to it - I could have this lil puppy turning out almost 280+ HP....... This is very encouraging.... I could have a super fuel efficient engine with the power to overcome rough conditions when needed.

Nice Links you sent me HT - Thanks ! I've emailed them for price lists on their conversion parts.

Looks like a nice project all in itself !

JohnnyO

"G'day JohnnyO,

The Eng

"G'day JohnnyO,

The Engine and Stern Drive you picture is virtually the same as what is in my own 1974 Gull Wing.

But, as said by others, yours has been either converted to later model parts, or it is a later model of the V6 Nail Head Buick.

I know that you are missing the rack for raising the Leg.

Bruce."

"280HP?

[img][/img].. 155HP

"280HP?

.. 155HP prolly pushing the 40 year old cast iron crank to it's limits..."

Hy Stat - just going off the i

Hy Stat - just going off the information found in the links on the page you sent me ! Wasp outta New Zealand has done some wonderful things to this engine apparently !

They sell a 9lb boost kit which more then likely includes a new crank.....

JohnnyO

"they aren't doing anythin

"they aren't doing anything to a 60's nailhead with a cast crank, but the engine's they are fitting are based loosely on the same Buick V6 design... loosely...
Talk to them... might have some neat advice for getting some free power outta your motor.
Your outdrive is maxed at around 175 to 200 HP though
you are on the right side of the globe to access some neat engines for sure."

"Take your turbo money and put

"Take your turbo money and put it toward a newer larger powerplant. Even in the rare chance your engine doesn't explode, your drive will never, ever take he stress. Sorry."

"Yes, that is a 225 Buick, wit

"Yes, that is a 225 Buick, with an old outdrive just like mine.Sure wish I could find a deal like that!!
By the looks of it, I wouldn't tear down anything. Just put er in, and go.My powerplant has pushed my 20 foot C/C Corsair to 33 MPH, and I backed off. I wasn't at WOT yet, either. Passengers couldn't take the ride. Speed measure was done with GPS. Although mine has a number 1 cylinder reading of 110 pounds, while the others read 140, there is no evidence of valve trouble. The Leak-Down was great. No loss over the specified time.Plugs look good too. No fouling.I just cant understand why the number 1 reads 100 pounds."

"Hey scott - Do you have photo

"Hey scott - Do you have photos of your boat ? What is the fully loaded weight of your Corsair full of full / passengers / gear / etc.

Thanks in advance,

JohnnyO"

"Scott - my wife reminded me -

"Scott - my wife reminded me - it was $800.00 I gave for everything on that purchase - the engine and the complete outdrive.

I am afraid that 150HP is not going to accomplish what I need. The boat I am powering is a project boat I picked up last year.

The boat is a 25ft 1989 Glassmaster cabin cruiser - We converted it to a pilot house. She is a deep-vee and I am sure the weight is atleast double of your 20ft Corsair.

We have gutted the interior completely and added some cedar bench seats down in the cabin area. I know we removed close to 1400lbs. I am estimating the weight currently without engines to be around 3500lbs. She is solid fiberglass.

Captaindada is my nickname around the lake - I am the proud father of 6 boys. Oldest being 13, then 10, 5, 4, 2, 3months.

The pilot house configuration with the cruiser type cabin below is perfect for keeping everyone under lock and key while we're running offshore to fish.

Currently - I have the following which I will make someone a super great deal on.

--- 225 V6 w/complete outdrive $800.00
--- 120 inline 4 mercruiser w/complete outdrive $500.00
--- GM 350 5.7l carburated inboard engine $1000.00

I am located in Southwest Louisiana but wouldn't mind palletizing and helping arrange shipping.

I decided my best bet would be to go with twin 150 outboards. This will give me a top speed of almost 35kts and a nice cruise of around 28kts only burning 8gph.

Now - to find a wonderfully priced set of 150hp outboards with less then 500hours between 1997 and 2001 years

Anyone interested in anything I have for sale - I will give a 10% discount to anyone who is a member of this forum.

Regards,

JohnnyO - aka - CaptainDaDa"

"JohnnyO..heres a couple shots

"JohnnyO..heres a couple shots of my boat.

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff357/FattyLumpkin11/P1010026.jpg"

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff357/FattyLumpkin11/P1010027.jpg"

Don't know the weight, but it'll be heavy. There is a truck scale near me, but haven't weighed the boat and trailer.Subframes front ( cockpit ) and rear were re-built last winter using White and Red Oak. New Marine ply floors as well. Powerwashed out the hull also, when I had it stripped out.Hull has been hand rubbed twice with Marine Rubbing Compound by me , but I think it needs a professional job.The boat is " supposed " to be Snap-On Toolbox red, but, as you can see, that's not the case.I am currently trying to sell the boat, to move up to a 30 footer.I've had this boat out in HUGE (4 to 6 foot) swells on Lake Erie, and it's a dry ride, evident by the huge flared bow. Nav lights all work.No holes in the 32 gallon galvanized tank.This thing SIPS gas.1 Barrel carb.I'm currently installing a new Fuse Bar for power.Got rid of the old glass fuses, and put in Spade Automotive type, bought from the local Marine Shop.
Times are so slow here, I cant get a bite at $2500.00 Canadian.That's with the twin axle trailer (new lights and wiring ), new VHF (8 foot whip..NEW ) Pirahnamax Fish Finder, 5 life jackets, and all safety gear ( 10 lb. ABC Fire Extinguisher).
Scott"

The drive is a OMC Cobra Sting

The drive is a OMC Cobra Stinger my guess is it is a 800 series for v8 and 400 for 4 cylinders
They can't handel any extra hp.. The ball gears are the bad point.. can't run the drive in a tilted position.must be in fully down position.I have rebuilt many of them and they are pretty good.Lots of new and used parts on eBay or new at Basicpower marine parts. The ideal power train would be a GM Chevy 5.0 or 5.7 liter with mercruiser bravo 2 drive

Hey Scott - very nice job you&

Hey Scott - very nice job you've done with her. I just located and purchased twin 1997 Yamaha 150s for my project.

I am afraid that the single I/O with the Buick 155HP engine wouldn't be what we're looking for. I know I would get MUCH better fuel economy out of the single I/O but I would definitely be struggling and under-powered when I would need it most.

Now to sell off all these (extra) engines I purchased in my hasteful decisions ! DOH ! LOL

Anyone want a great deal - Contact me ! - $500.00 plus shipping costs for the engine/outdrive combo !

JohnnyO

Quote:
======================

Quote:
================================================
"The drive is a OMC Cobra Stinger my guess is it is a 800 series for v8 and 400 for 4 cylinders"
================================================

Way too old for a Cobra. It is a High Profile Stringer drive. Cobra did not show up for years later. 1974 or older but I think it is between 1968-1972. Hard to tell by the photos.

"Pete,

To clarify, it is no

"Pete,

To clarify, it is not a
Cobra Outdrive which was in the mid 80's and later.

It is not an 800 or 400 which was from late 70's to mid 80's.

It is a High Profile Stringer Drive for most V6's and all V8's. A Low Profile Drive, (Shorter Drive Shaft) was for the 4 Cylinder engines. These two were used prior to 1970 and were replaced by the 400/800 Series in 1978. The 400/800 was replaced by the Cobra Series in the Mid 80's."

"Ok, I believe you , but sure

"Ok, I believe you , but sure looks the same as the 3 I have in the shed.one came off a 1971 John Almand 23 ft.. v8 electric shift I also have a low profile that needs to resealed thanks for the info"

"Stinger is actually a mid 70&

"Stinger is actually a mid 70's Johnson Outboard (I think 75HP)also made by OMC.
"Stringer" is what these drives are nicknamed due to the way the whole engine and drive attaches to the stringer boards of the boat's hull rather than mounting to the transom like Mercruiser and Volvo Penta.

It's not pick on Pete day... just off season ...but if ever advertising your 1971 drives, make sure you put stringer with the "r" in it- that's what a lot of people search for on eBay and craigslist etc."

Is it worth my time and effort

Is it worth my time and effort to list this Buick 225 and this Stringer outdrive on ebay ?

Hy Stat - what do you think I should set as the asking price or "Buy It Now" price ?

Thanks for all the information and absoluterly double thanks for the entertainment hahahaha

JohnnyO

"Hey Johnny O !! I'm tempt

"Hey Johnny O !! I'm tempted by your offer, but you are so far from me, I bet the shipping would be large. I'm in Ontario, Canada...about 120 miles EAST of Detroit.
Having just got called back from a lay-off, I'm a little short ( cash wise) right now. I really would like to be able to buy the powertrain off of you.
You said you heard it run? Did the guy run it in a boat, or on a stand with a hose? I bought a engine off a guy in NY State awhile ago. He swore it had been covered...la, la, la. Turns out the block was junk.All I got left are the heads, and all external(and some internal) trappings from the motor. I did get a excellent unused Tilt Quadrant, though.If your not in a hurry to sell the combo, I'll check back in a month.If you know how much the skids (or skid) will weigh, that'll help in calculating shipping.If you list it on E-Bay, please post the auction number.
Scott"

Anyone know where I can find p

Anyone know where I can find parts for this engine or outdrive assembly ? Just lost the lower unit on our Pontoon boats outdrive this past weekend. It was a 85HP Force outboard from US Marine.

Looks like the Pontoon boat will have some extra power soon ....

JohnnyO

"Hey Scott - I had the engine

"Hey Scott - I had the engine running this morning. When I purchased it - he had it running in his shop on a hose.

Let me see what comes of it going into my pontoon, I have a center transom structure for an I/O off another pontoon boat I picked up a couple of years ago with converting our Pontoon boat to an I/O...

I'll keep you posted. FYI - I get up to the Detroit, MI area a few times per year."

"Cool, that sounds neat.I know

"Cool, that sounds neat.I know Detroit like the back of my hand. Travel there (working) most nights.Laid off right now, as the cars arent moving too good yet.

S."

Back