Logo

Reed Valve Question

cnpro18

"I have a 1993 70hp Evinrude a

"I have a 1993 70hp Evinrude and am having trouble with the middle plug fouling. I have checked and done everything imaginable. Someone on here suggested that I check the reed valve for that cylinder. My question is, what does a reed valve do, and how does it work, and will it really cause a plug to foul?"

"That definitely helps me unde

"That definitely helps me understand a reed valve. That is a very good illustration. However, I don't see how it could possibly foul a plug. I would think it would just blow fuel back out the carb?"

Is it running on all 3 cylinde

Is it running on all 3 cylinders???? A bad reed would probably result in a lean mixture on one cylinder and a resultant loss of power

In your previous post you ment

In your previous post you mention having the carbs off to rebuild...have you re-sinc them properly before testing.

"Yeah, I'm thinking I need

"Yeah, I'm thinking I need to do the link and sync proceedure again, and maybe check the floats again. Let you know what happens. Thanks for all the help."

"I just checked the sync on th

"I just checked the sync on the carbs, and the middle carb butterfly valve is barely cracking before the others. Is it that important for them to be perfectly synced. Will it cause it to run bad through 3/4 throttle and then clear out?"

"that would cause an idle prob

"that would cause an idle prob,as well as coughing,and taking off probs...but,can also,be barely noticable.."

"I have now checked the reed v

"I have now checked the reed valves, have the carbs in perfect sync, and still the middle plug fouls. I'm at a loss. It's going to the shop in the morning."

"I took it to the shop and the

"I took it to the shop and they said that the middle sleeve has spun and it had water in the top 2 cylinders, and that those 2 had the exact same compression which was 110. They quoted me 2,000 to completely rebuild with a 1 year warranty? Does that seem right?"

"That would be a good price. I

"That would be a good price. It is advisable to get a factory rebuilt unit. It would probably cost a bit more, but would include new pistons, bearings, etc. It is difficult to replace everything and keep the price at $2000."

Back