Logo

1408430 178 140 Rude

kiwi_dave

Contributing Member
"Hi Folks
Can anyone advise

"Hi Folks
Can anyone advise how big a job it is to replace the hinge bolt attaching the engine to the T&T. Is it possible for me to do it myself or should I get someone to do it. Im pretty handy, and over the past 18 months have pretty much got this bugger going ... with the help of this site . thanks in advance"

are you talking about the main

are you talking about the main hinge where the steering cable goes through?...........if so you can do it by yourself.

look right behind the flywheel for a engine hoist loop.....now find you a tree with a good limb that will hold about 350 lbs ......now put a chain around the limb and connect a come-along ........... remove the steering cable nut and the bolts in the transom ......after you swing it away from the transom you can remove the steering cable easily.......now get you a couple of pipe wrenchs or the proper size..........and voila its done.

dont get too wild with swinging it to the side and you wont even have to disconnect the wires nor the throttle/shift cables.

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
249333.jpg

DR... This is the bolt. Bit worried as is pretty rusty.. seems hollow ? Couldnt get a spanner on it at all, and dont want to whack it to much as ill prob end up buggering something else up. Also ... if you can see the safety latch, which takes the weight of the motor in transit, does it look right to you ????? looks like a funny angle. Thanks in adv again ... Dave"

"The arrow seems to point to t

"The arrow seems to point to the tilt-tube, which may be a pain in the butt to get out.
remove the engine from transom,take off nuts on both sides, get a long threaded rod with 2 nuts and a sleeve that gos just outside the tube and 2 THICK washers.
If You are lucky, and with help of a lot of heat, You may be able to pull it out!
Both nylon bushings will probably have to be changed as well."

i use pipe wrenches and a hand

i use pipe wrenches and a hand held torch (like the ones at walmart) for the real tough ones...most of them just look bad until you start turning them. i took one apart one time with a pair of vise grips and a pair of channel locks.....it wasnt easy but it was all i had with me that would fit. it is hollow because thats where the steering cable would be.

as for the trail lock .....yeah it does look like it may be too far toward the top. it should be at a 90deg angle (if possible) from the motor and transom bracket --- to be able to support the weight.....if you use the tnt to pull it down be careful not to pull it down too hard. i would invest in a transom saver for trailering.

by the way a good scrubbing wi

by the way a good scrubbing with a wire brush will help a lot.....if not for rust at least for the paint on the threads.

Back