Logo

Leaking fueloil through prop when engine running

martin_p

"Hey thanks for listening, I h

"Hey thanks for listening, I have a problem with my 94 nitro boat it has a 115hp oil injected mercury outboard engine with 4 carbs. The problem is that its dies as soon as I start it up during idle and I have to accelerate the engine for it to stay running and during this time it smokes and spits out fuel/oil trough the prop. I'm mechanically inclined with cars but I don't know much about boats, please can anybody help...."

"All 2 strokes will push some

"All 2 strokes will push some small amount of unburnt fuel and oil out the prop. Ports just aren't as effecient as valves. Sounds like you have a carb related problem, possibly on the idle circuit. have they been sitting with fuel in them for a period of time?"

"Thanks for replying, Rose
M

"Thanks for replying, Rose
My boat was sitting for about 2 months and it took me a while to start it up, I had to accelerate the throttle to start it up and when it did start up it spit out alot of fuel/oil. It does stay running at high throttle spitting fuel/oil during running but if I lower the throttle to idle it dies out. Is it a quick fix that can be done at home or does it need to go to a boat mechanic and how much would you think it will cost me, just a ball park figure?It does have 4 carbs.
Thanks again for your time"

"Cleaning and rebuilding carbs

"Cleaning and rebuilding carbs yourself is mostly a case of dissassembly, clean, check settings and reasemble. Do one carb at a time so you can reference one that is together for where parts should go if you forget. You need a compressor to blow out passages. Not sure if those carbs have any plastics that will prevent you from soaking them in a carb solvent...which if you can soak them will help alot in getting them clean. You need carbs kits which is your only parts cost. The most important thing when done is re-sincing the 4 carbs."

It seems that its a little mor

It seems that its a little more complicated than I thougth. What's the price range for the service and what should I expect?
Thanks...

"My engine has 3 carbs, it too

"My engine has 3 carbs, it took me about an hour a carb to remove, take apart, blow out, re-assemble and reinstall on engine...mine I was able to soak and did so overnight. My mechanic buddy came over and re-sinced the carbs and ran in a barrel in about 15 minutes. Remember all advice here is long distance best guesses...you want to eliminate all other cheap fix possibilities first before spending money on more costly options. I'm sure if you ask others will give you some other things to check as well."

"Your 115 is a 2plus2 engine r

"Your 115 is a 2plus2 engine runs on two cylinders at idle and about 2200rpms the other two cyclinders cut in, it also has an exccelorator pump, unless you know what ur doing dont do the cabies yourself take it to a shop u will be up for a few hours around 3"

"Hey thanks Rollie/Jaime, I&#3

"Hey thanks Rollie/Jaime, I'm thinking that I'll give it a try this weekend. I guess I'll do one by one, is there something that is noticeable that I should look for when I'm tearing the carb. apart or is there a process for say like starting from the top carbs. to the bottom."

"Hey thanks Rollie/Jamie, I&#3

"Hey thanks Rollie/Jamie, I'm thinking that I'll give it a try this weekend. I guess I'll do one by one, is there something that is noticeable that I should look for when I'm tearing the carb. apart or is there a process for say like starting from the top carbs. to the bottom"

Back