Logo

Timing a reverse 318

bradcurry

"I have a 32 marinette. I am

"I have a 32 marinette. I am having trouble getting the 318 in time. the engine is reverse rotation, distributor turns CCW. I have the firing order set to 12756348. I assume that #1 is still in the left bank as with normal rotation? I have no timing marks on the ballancer and no markings in the distributor either, so my only way of determing tdc on #1 is the finger over the hole method. With all that said I still can not get this thing to start. it puffs and spit back through the carb. To me it acts like it is 180 out but if everything I mentioned is correct it can't be. I need some serious timing help, first time working with reverse rotation. Rebuilt enging with good compression, I got a deal on the boat becuase the guy got burnt out on the restore when he chipped about 5 teeth off the ring gear after installing the starter(rebuilt for normal roation)the correct starter and new gear are on now, but he did hear and see the engine run on the stand before the install."

"A reverse rotator distributor

"A reverse rotator distributor turns the SAME way as the normal engine. You set up the wires assbackwards on the cap--that is all. For timing marks, remove the little rubber flap on the bellhousing (held by one bolt--7/16 wrench) and you will see a pointer, and the teeth of the flywheel. A paint blotch is at TDC. One side of the arrow pointer is for a normal engine, the other side for a reverse rotator. The tip of the arrow is TDC.

Do that and get back to me.

Jeff

PS: Be sure the distributor advance mechanism is freed up--they like to stick. Pop the cap and "exercise" the mechanism by flipping the rotor back and forth a few hundred times until it springs right back by itself.

PSS: THe front left cylinder is # 1."

"Jeff, I checked the rotor on

"Jeff, I checked the rotor on the other engine and it turns cw the one I am working on turns ccw. Also the Advance Mechanism, Is that the paddle wheel looking piece or is it the electronic pickup that contacts the paddle wheel. I will wait for your reply before I go any further.
Thanks a lot
Brad"

"Brad
As for the advance work

"Brad
As for the advance working free
the Advance Mechanism is a combination of weights & springs under the plate that, that the electronic pick-up coil is mounted to.
If you grab the rotor (attached to the same shaft as the reluctor / paddle wheel looking piece) You should be able to twist it a little bit, & it (the rotor) should spring back freely.
It will only move a 1/4 inch or so & should move freely.
This is the mechanism that allows the ignition timing to advance as the engine increases RPM.

let us know if it doesn't

Fred 156-M"

"Ah...something's rotten i

"Ah...something's rotten in Denmark (to quote Shakespeare). If the distributor turns the "wrong way" then the oil pump will not pump oil.

Question: Is this a genuine Chrysler marine engine or some lash up from Joe's Motor Joint? If not the latter, then the motor is either rotating the wrong way on the starter, or you've got the "normal" (ie: the wrong cam and distributor drive gear) in there.

Are you SURE you saw this motor running; and if so, what was changed since then?

Jeff"

"Okay, Everything viewed stand

"Okay, Everything viewed standing behind the flywheel. The left engine that runs: it turns toward the left side of the boat and the distributor turns cw. The right Engine turns toward the right side of the boat, and the Distributor turns CCW. This engine is a true marine engine It came out of a house boat that was set up with the engine in backwards (I know for sure the oil pan had to be switched to fit in the marinette and the engine ran on a trailer before being installed, I did not witness) Could this infact be a normal rotation engine that I and the guy I bought the boat from have been trying to start backwards? After the guy installed the engine he had it running in the boat but not for long do to no water. After that he thought the starter need to be rebuilt so he bought a new one from marysville and then the boat sat for two years, he then tried to get running was unsecessfull and sold the boat to me dirt cheap. The more we talk about this the more I understand these reverse engines. I think that if a normal starter was installed it would run just fine. With all that being said, what do you guys think my next line of action should be, and how difficult will it be to change whatever needs to be changed to make this thing a true reverse? Wow I hope that is not to much to take in
Thanks a ton
Brad"

"Ahhhh!!! I suggest putting y

"Ahhhh!!! I suggest putting your other starter in there and seeing what happens. I'm afraid we ALL know what's going on, however. Damn.

Jeff"

I called the guy I bought it f

I called the guy I bought it from and asked him if he was positive the engine was reverse rotation and he said " I thought that the transmission was the only thing that made a engine reverse rotation". Not what I wanted to hear. How much damage could there be since this engine has been cranking in reverse? Pushrods? Valves? I really hope I am going to be able to get away with swoping the cam.

Brad

"The entire motor has been wit

"The entire motor has been without oil pressure as it whirled over. Still, you might get away with it BUT don't try to fire it up without cranking the oil pressure up--plugs out--first.

Even if it runs okay, the damn thing is still not a reverse rotator.

Jeff"

"Excelent tip Jeff, but you d

"Excelent tip Jeff, but you don't think I will be able to just change the cam out and the distributor gear?"

"No. The main bearing seals a

"No. The main bearing seals are different as well, and the pistons are in back wards("F" to the rear). Nor would I advise running the bearings the other way.

Sorry, but you'll need to find a reverse rotator. I'd get that one running in any case (if possible) to recover your $$ if the guy who sold it to you won't take it back.

Jeff"

Back