Logo

2003 DT150 ignition coil

leafman

"Attempting to get my DT150 ru

"Attempting to get my DT150 running after sitting for 4 months. Ran fine with no problems last time I had it out. Cleaned vapor separator and needle, it all looked good. Installed new plugs. Turn key on gauge beeps and displays everything normal, Turn key on I hear fuel pump run for 2-3 seconds and sounds like the injectors spraying fuel. Motor turns over fine. I have not checked for spark yet. I did however check ohm readings on the two coils one under the flywheel read 275 ohms and the coil that rides the edge of the teeth on the flywheel read 196 ohms, but it looks like the teeth on the flywheel have worn away the plastic coating and has been eating away at the metal (which looks like a magnet) on the edge of the coil. Does anyone know what those readings show be? I check continuity on the kill switch and it is open in the run position and has continuity when in the down or pulled position. I pulled a couple of the plugs and they look dry, should they be wet with fuel after turning the motor over? Appreciate any help."

"Got home today and installed

"Got home today and installed the coil back on the motor next to the flywheel. Pulled all the plugs and put my spark plug light tester on all of the plug wires and all showed good spark. But I noticed a strong smell of gas that I hadn't noticed the whole time I have been trouble shooting the motor. I put the plugs back in and the motor fired right up. The only thing that is suspect is when I pulled the coil of the motor, the one located next to the flywheel it was full of metal shavings that were stuck to it due to it have a magnet built into it. I cleaned the shavings off and put it back on. I just can't figure out what I did to get the motor running. But I am not complaining. Anyone have a suggestion or clue of what it could have possibly been?"

Coil not grounding properly.

Coil not grounding properly. I take my coils off every spring and clean up the contact to the block. If I don't I can experience an intermittent dropped cylinder. Just a guess

Back