Logo

Can you tell me what to look for in a used engine

jlevac

"Hi, I need to replace my omc

"Hi, I need to replace my omc 5.7L 260 hp for my 1988 four winns 245. What should I look for in a used engine?
Thanks"

"ideally: low hours, great com

"ideally: low hours, great compression test results, relatively new exhaust parts, flawless oil analysis, and compatible mounts and harness for what you are pulling. Don't mess with the auto stuff - too many opportunities for 'bad luck'.

depending upon your installation, you may want to consider a turnkey complete engine, with warranty, from one of the major rebuilders. If your bolt on parts are in good-great shape, you may want to rebuilt what you have."

"Thanks for your response. Th

"Thanks for your response. This is the description of the engine: 5.7 LITER ( 260 HP ) V-8 MARINE MOTOR. COMPRESSION READING WAS A SUPER GOOD 175, 175, 175, 180, 175, 180, 175 AND 180. OIL PRESSURE 40 PSI WITH 14 VOLTS. THIS MOTOR WAS APPARENTLY POORLY WINTERIZED AND BLOCK AND MANIFOLD HAD ( EXTERNAL ) CRACKS. ENGINE AND MANIFOLD WAS SENT OUT AND PROFESSIONALLY WELDED AND SEALED BY MARINA ON LAKE ERIE AND PRESSURE CHECKED. OWNER OF BOAT NEVER PICKED MOTOR UP OR PAID FOR IT. WE PURCHASED AND RAN OUR CHECKS, RAN FOR APPROX. 15 MINS. RAN GREAT, NO LEAKS, EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE IN GOOD SHAPE. HAS BEEN REPAINTED ( NOT THE GREATEST ). MOTOR COMES COMPLETE WITH FLYWHEEL, MOTOR COUUPLING, BELLHOUSING, STARTER AND SELONOID, FRONT MOTOR MOUNTS, FUEL / WATER SEPARATOR, CARTER FUEL PUMP, ALTERNATOR, POWER STEERING PUMP, WATER PUMP, THERMOSTAT HOUSING, PULLEYS AND BELTS, 4 BBL QUADRAJET CARB, SPARK ARRESTOR, EXHAUST MANIFOLDS WITH RISERS, SHIFT LINKAGE, TILT / TRIM SELONOIDS, DISTRIBUTOR WITH ACCEL SUPER STOCK COIL, IGNITION MODULE, AND COMPLETE ENGINE WIRING HARNESS WITH 50 AMP CIRCUIT BREAKER. THIS IS A GOOD RUNNING MOTOR, SHOULD BE ABLE TO PRETTY MUCH DROP IT IN AND GO.

Anything else i should look for?"

"Even though you are operating

"Even though you are operating in fresh water, I would thoroughly check the oil pan and replace if any rust whatsoever. Replace with aluminum or stainless. It has been my experience that most marine engines have a typical auto-type oil pan that can rust out pretty quickly."

"[b]"THIS MOTOR WAS APPARE

""THIS MOTOR WAS APPARENTLY POORLY WINTERIZED AND BLOCK AND MANIFOLD HAD ( EXTERNAL ) CRACKS.
Anything else i should look for?"

Ayuh,...

A motor that Hasn't been Frozen,+ Cracked...."

"ENGINES CRACKS...run and run

"ENGINES CRACKS...run and run fast...you can fix or replace any of an engines add ons....but you need to start with a solid block!!!! It may run good now...but for how long? Until the crack opens up again after the first hard run. Think of yourself as a Nascar driver, would you buy that engine if you had a 500 mile race to win and you needed a good engine to last? I doubt it."

Jean:

where did you find th

Jean:

where did you find that ad? I'd like to get the original text (& permission to use) for my next update of "how to know when you're in really deep and why it stinks around here".

"Hi Jean,

What option did

"Hi Jean,

What option did you take? Re-build or re-fit?

I'm with Rollie & Bondo on this one...

A great deal does not help when you're stranded..."

Back