Logo

200hp Replaced power pack Intial timing setting

fishinvol

De'Book says reset/check t

De'Book says reset/check timing anytime you change componets. This engine got a complete teardown and new rings. Also new pack and voltage regulator. De' book clearly says 4500 rpms and NOT on a flusher to set max spark advance. What would be safe way to initail set timing? If I simply lower it(by turning max advance screw inward to reduce max advance is there any risk? or just lose preformance? Thanks

"what year/model?

does the

"what year/model?

does the 4500 rpm the book shows say test wheel part #****?

alot of those lower rpms ranges fro timing is for a test wheel.............and no never ever rev over 12-1400 rpms without a load (in the water) and never putit in gear and rev it up on muffs either.

here is a method to set your timing at home....by jos reeves.

Joe
------------------
(Timing At Cranking Speed 4°)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: If your engine has the "Fast Start" feature", you must disconnect/eliminate that feature in order to use the following method. The "Fast Start" automatically advances the spark electronically when the engine first starts, dropping it to normal when the engine reaches a certain temperature.

The full spark advance can be adjusted without have the engine running at near full throttle as follows.

To set the timing on that engine, have the s/plugs out, and have the throttle at full, set that timer base under the flywheel tight against the rubber stop on the end of the full spark timer advance stop screw (wire it against that stop if necessary).

Rig a spark tester and have the gap set to 7/16". Hook up the timing light to the #1 plug wire. Crank the engine over and set the spark advance to 4° less than what the engine calls for.

I don't know the full spark advance setting your engine calls for, but to pick a figure, say your engine calls for 28°, set the timing at 24°. The reasoning for the 4° difference is that when the engine is actually running, due to the nature of the solid state ignition componets, the engine gains the extra 4°.

If you set the engine to its true setting at cranking speed, when running it will advance beyond its limit by 4° which will set up pre-ignition causing guaranteed piston damage! You don't want that to take place.

No need to be concerned about the idle timing as that will take care of itself. The main concern is the full advance setting.

Be sure to use your own engines spark advance settings, not the one I picked out of the air here in my notes.

you can look up partial repair manual on google books.........not as good as having your own but it does list the wot timing...and read this procedure carefully."

"that is an excellent procedur

"that is an excellent procedure...of which,..I AM,for...however....it is not the factory rec procedure..now,..i have done that for prob 30,yrs,after an overhaul,etc....but,there is way to much at steak.....in my opinion..hs timing,should be cked,..by the book.....so u can sleep..but,...any good mech,knows,and has been doing that for yrs....THEN,hs timing adj."

"all the book specs,..for HS t

"all the book specs,..for HS timing,..are using a test wheel..in an apropriate tank....."

Back