Logo

Loss of PRM at WOTsecondaries

oldmako

Contributing Member
"I've lost about 300 rpm a

"I've lost about 300 rpm at WOT. The engine runs fine and the bottom is clean. The prop is perfect.

I suspect that the secondaries on my Holley 4160 are not opening. I have fully opened the throttle (engine off) and checked that the secondaries are not sticking and free to open.

Without having a bud to run the yot while my head is in the bilge, what else can I look for? Am I right to think that the secondaries are opened purely by vacuum?"

Correct. Here's a suggest

Correct. Here's a suggestion: Buy some Bud. Give some Bud to a "bud" and have him eyeball the secondaries as you run along? Sound good?

Jeff

I spend a fair amount of time

I spend a fair amount of time on FTC. The main reason i jumped on the secondary idea is that my last carb got gunked up and the secondaries froze shut. I can usually hear the engine whine a bit as they open. Other than the last 300 rpm it runs fine.

My harmonic balancer is so rusted that timing is at best an educated guess. As I have done nothing to change the ignition and or the distributor I figure that it's a fuel issue. When I get some time to spend in the bilge I'll do some more research. Thanks to all for the info.

slindemann you might want to l

slindemann you might want to look at your exhust. I have heard of some of the supertraps getting clogged with rust and the result is a loss of rpms.

Back