Logo

Trim senderlimiter Spring wake up

"Just starting to put some tho

"Just starting to put some thought to getting the boat ready for the spring. Got all my various filters, impeller, thermostat, plugs etc. to give it a good service but I've been advised to get a new Trim sender/limiter that fixes to either side of the outdrive, my trim guage is inop. so I'm guessing part of it may cure that but what is the 'limiter' side of it for and how would I know if it's faulty? I also need to callibrate my fuel tank sender as I fitted a new one last year and it's reading wildly out...is this just common sense or is there a method to it? When getting everything else ready, apart from the service jobs mentioned above, is there anything else I should be considering?
Thanks for any advice, the do-it-yourself side to boating is pretty new to me!
p.s 1991 350 Mag / Alpha 1"

"Trim position sender is on th

"Trim position sender is on the starboard and trim limiter is on the port. Read cleaning sender and limiter switches.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/attachment_icon.gif""" align=left alt=""application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document"">how the trim works
[url=""][b]How the trim.docx[/b][/url] (12.6 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

"Thanks Guy, as always, you ar

"Thanks Guy, as always, you are the one who always seems willing to help me! Makes me wonder if it's because I'm from the wrong side of the pond, who knows!? I've also got a problem with my switchable transom exhaust....the pump seems to be generating good pressure but I cannot stop the rams from sticking...any ideas? I've tried fitting some springs to help with the closing but they still stick!!I can supply pictures of my modification if required but, bearing in mind the age of the engine....should I try new rams? I know the man who's owned it from fairly new and he's said they've always been an issue. My berth is in a very quiet place on a very quiet river and with the pipes open, this boat is anything but quiet and I'm upsetting the locals!"

Mark:

The exhaust gates may

Mark:

The exhaust gates may have heavy carbon deposits on them along w/the shafts and pipes. They most likely are worn after years of use. Try cleaning them before replacing them.

I've never calibrated a fuel sender to the gauge. My new tank came w/a sender installed. The tank holds 29 US gallons when full. Gauge needle goes way to the right and stays there a long time. I know when it registers "E" that there are about 8 gals. left in the tank.

You could adjust the length of the sender rod so the float travels between the tank top and bottom in a longer arc (shorten the rod).

Others will help; I just beat them to the punch.

"Thanks guy, I think I'll

"Thanks guy, I think I'll strip and clean the actuators and butterflies before the season, it can do no harm and could save me some abuse from the local shore fishermen!! I've managed to get the tank capacity from the original spec. (350 litres) and I'm going to use some common sense! As always I appreciate your input
cheers
Mark"

Back