Logo

1987 50hp Mercury Outboard Trim Tilt motor failure

tommyb

"I have a 50hp Merc Outboard a

"I have a 50hp Merc Outboard and the trim/tilt motor is not working. I hit the trim button on the throttle one way and I get a click from the engine and nothing else. Pushing the trim button the other way does absolutely nothing. (I don't recall exactly which way is up and down on this motor... I think it was reversed but I'm not positive).

I ran the tests on the solenoids per the manual and I have concluded that the trim motor is shot. But before I go through the hassle of pulling the outboard off my transom to get at the trim motor (who designs these things???) I was hoping for some confirmation from anyone who might help.

Also, can anyone give me an idea of the weight of this outboard? I'm wondering if I prop it up with the skeg on wood, will the skeg hold the weight?

Thanks!!!"

"when pressing the trim button

"when pressing the trim button do you get soemthing like a buzzing sound?

If not means that your trim motor is gone. If there is a buzzing means that your motor works, might be week, or a problem at the hydroulic pump.

Taking the power trim of is not that difficult, no need for taking the whole engine of the transom.
You need a second person for a short time for holding the engine.

What you do is, open all the bolts holding the powertrim unit to the mount.
After this you need to open the bolts holding the engine.

Now you get the second person, which will press the engine (sitting on the transom) to the front. This will create some space between the mount and the boat, mostlikely enough that you can push the trim unit out (towards boat)

The engine weight is about 100 kg, but as the engine sits on the transom shouldn't be a big issue for somebody holding it.

Put the bolts back and open the trim motor.

Check the Carbon insite if it's worn out, This is in many cases the reason for a powertrim not working anymore. And the cheapest to replace.

Sorry for my english, as a german, my german is excellent"

There's no buzzing.... jus

There's no buzzing.... just the click.

But that's a great suggestion. I got part of the way yesterday by unbolting the power trim unit thinking I could just slip it out the bottom but it wouldn't fit.

The only thing I wonder about though is that the engine mount does not sit on the top of the transom but is just bolted to it... so without the bolts it would just drop off. So I would only back the top bolts off part of the way to leave some playing room. Do I have to worry at all about damage to the bolts or the transom itself?

Thanks very much.... and your english is fine!

"The bolts should be able to t

"The bolts should be able to take it. It's only about 100 kg.

But I guess the playing room is not going to be enough.

If you take a look ot the powertrim and the engine mount, you can see that the powertrim unit only can be slipped out towards the boat.

Is the boat on a trailer or in the water? If it's on a trailer put the back of the trailer under the garage or a tree and you are also able to secure and hold the engine with a string.

If it's in the water take a strong wood stick put a string under/around the Engine Block and tight it up with the stick (above the engine). Now 2 people should be able to hold the stick with the engine on it, while you open the bolts, take the trim unit off and put the engine back.

If your boat is in a marina, I guess you could ask for a engine crane."

Back