Logo

3208T overheating

jcd

"I've got a 320HP engine i

"I've got a 320HP engine in a 38' launch which overheats at full power. Hrs are 2950 and it's just had both cyl heads overhauled after a blown headgasket. I've cleaned the main heat exchanger, overhauled the raw water pump, checked fresh water system under pressure (no leaks). Engine warms up normally to 150deg and runs @ 2000rpm at 180deg. Full throttle gets 200deg and a boilover. I get full 2850rpm, no black smoke, starts easy and no white smoke.
Overheating seems to be a common 3208 problem and our Cat agent is out of ideas. Can anyone help with this"

"Be sure to change the thermos

"Be sure to change the thermostats, and the raw water impellors. If the impellor cover plate of the raw water pump has any grooves or imperfections flip the cover over or sand the surface flat with a sanding disc. The after-cooler may be blocked. Back flush it or have it "cooked out" at a radiator shop. Mine had remnants of broken zincs settled inside. Are all the raw water intake hoses and clamps tight? And do you have unobstructed water flow at the through hull? If your transmission heat exchanger is blocked, the water can't get out of the engine fast enough and will create the problem you have."

Back