Logo

21l volvo to 43l swap

00chevrolet00

"I have a 1985 bayliner capri

"I have a 1985 bayliner capri with a junk 2.1l volvo engine, I want to swap a 4.3l engine into it. The outdrive is a 270 volvo penta, I have found bellhousings for this drive to a 4.3l, But my big question is do the motor mounts have to be custom made? Im kinda new to boats any help would be appreciated, thanks"

"yes to motor mount fabricatin

"yes to motor mount fabricating, but that would not be the biggest hurdle. Out drive gear ratio would probably top my list of things that would have to be addressed. ou ymight want power steering with 200HP as well.
The 4.3 would have to be complete manifolds, electrical and all...if can find that, might find a whole donor boat with a trashed hull , wrecked interior etc. cheap.. makes the swapping much easier."

"You will need to replace the

"You will need to replace the transom shield as well, unless you find an old type 3" exhaust Y-pipe. And even if you find it, it may interfere with your current steering arm. You also will need a Chevy V6 or V8 bellhousing, which apparently you already have.

If you realy want to repower, I suggest you try to get a 4.3 complete package with a 280 outdrive. Alternatively, you can adapt a 290 or an SP or DP drive, but then you will have to cut a larger hole in the transom to install the larger transom shield."

Back