Logo

Ebay Selectrim Fail %3cIMG SRC%3d%22httpwwwmarineenginecomdiscuscliparthappygif%22 ALT%3d%22%22 BORDER%3d0%3e

hystat

Outstanding Contributor
"from the ad:
[i]also attache

"from the ad:
also attached is the front auto motor mount
249052.jpg
selectrim fail"">

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Boat-Parts-Accessories-Gear__1974-OMC-140hp-3-0L-GM-Marine-Motor-Engine-Ct_W0QQitemZ280312575263QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2823QQddiZ2811QQadnZBoatQ20PartsQ2cQ20AccessoriesQ20Q26Q20GearQQcmdZViewItemQQptZBoat_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item280312575263&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1308"

"if you are going to change th

"if you are going to change that exh. housing (shroud), make sure you check up and down freeplay of the upper gearbox - should be .030" and you add or remove shims in the top of the upper to get the correct clearance. Too little freeplay and the steering can lock up. Too much and the top cover of the upper will take on water."

Well its going to be awhile be

Well its going to be awhile before I get to that point. After I buy a new unit. Thanks for the tip though. Is that what the new "CAP" for full mech refers too? I'll be going full mech on the new unit.

"[i]Is that what the new "

"Is that what the new "CAP" for full mech refers too?
no, i'm not sure what that is."

"From Seiler Marine, "When

"From Seiler Marine, "When replacing a hydro-mechanical lower unit, you will need a new shift cap and cable, or you can replace the cable and modify your cap to work with the full-mechanical lower unit."
I see this is only for replacing the lower unit. I'm going to go ahead with the complete drive.

Anyone worked with these guy's?
omc_sterndrive/400_800"

"wow - $4000 before a shift ca

"wow - $4000 before a shift cable? I guess that's not that crazy for brand new stuff....
Must be GLM stuff... GLM is the only company making stringer reproductions.
I guess by "cap", they mean the housing on the lower that adapts the housing to the cable.

I have the cable and that part in good used condition. I was going to eBay it.

I also have a complete 800 series drive for sale - full mechanical with cable and everything. 1.71 ratio though - not sure what yours is."

"[i]From Seiler Marine, "W

"From Seiler Marine, "When replacing a hydro-mechanical lower unit, you will need a new shift cap and cable, or you can replace the cable and modify your cap to work with the full-mechanical lower unit."
I see this is only for replacing the lower unit. I'm going to go ahead with the complete drive.

whether lower only, or complete drive, you'll still need to come up with the right cable.

You also need a different shift converter box behind the engine there.

And, you'll need to add an ESA system to your boat's ignition."

""whether lower only, or c

""whether lower only, or complete drive, you'll still need to come up with the right cable."

Right.

"You also need a different shift converter box behind the engine there."

This I did not know. There's a diff for full mech and hydro? I have the 233HP 351 or 5.7

"And, you'll need to add an ESA system to your boat's ignition."

There's already one on there but I could get a new one. No problem."

hydromechanical did not use an

hydromechanical did not use an ESA. Are you sure you don't already have a full mechanical?

A full mech has a rectangular zinc anode behind the idle relief holes.

"Sorry, HyStat I had to work.

"Sorry, HyStat I had to work.
"A full mech has a rectangular zinc anode behind the idle relief holes."

See, I've looked for that and its not there. My guess is someone downgraded just to make it run again. I'm not sure how to get the gear ratio. No clue. So you think these Seiler drives are reproductions? Is that good or bad? I have heard that most of the aftermarket stuff has been beefed up a little bit. Right now I'm in the position of having no reverse (Like a dummy the lower oil looked good so I didnt change it out for about 3 or 4 trips. Big mistake.) and no desire to try a teardown. More like a swap-out. Then take my time learning the old drive. $$$ is tight right now considering I need a new alt and carb as well. I hate people that dont keep up with thier stuff. It's more fun this way. The hard way that is. Hit me up for a price on you're stuff. Rofl"

Back