Logo

Mariner 40hp versus Suzuki 40hp

jsca

"Posted on Tuesday, February 1

"Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 05:20 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Graham, so nice AND gratefull to know that there is an expert here. Pse if you can...
I have a 40hp Mariner cdi and single coil pack(spare) for 2 plugs.There are absolutely no numbers on the motor> Now my big question is: can this cdi unit (incl coil etc) be used on a suzuki 40hp which is supposed to work with a cdi-unit? Again, no numbers on the Suzzuki motor.Perhaps the wiring from coils to cdi are different? Help greatly appreciated. Jean W. Sleeman (south Africa)"

"That I don't know. The Ma

"That I don't know. The Mariner's CDI ignition is compatable with Yamaha (since they made it).

I have never seen under the hood of a Suzuki and personally do not know anyone who owns one.

Did they produce their own ignition? buy it off Yami??

You could try it. I have often thought that someday I will try swapping out a prestolite cdi ignition with mercs thunderbolt to see if can be done.

The one thing I would caution. CDI units have, among other components, a "blocking diode" which keeps the two (capacitors) within the unit apart from each other. If you get the wrong voltage going into them (or the wrong resistance), you could fry the cdi box (so could be an expensive experiment).

Additionally, I don't know if the pulse from the trigger on the Suzuki would be within the specs that the Yami CDI box is looking for to tell it to fire.

Theoretically, all cdi units are the same - power from a stator, rectified and stored, released to the respective coil by a pulse from the sensor/trigger and you have ignition.

So, the answer is - it may or may not work - sorry can't do better than that..."

"Ok, tks Graham. Perhaps you c

"Ok, tks Graham. Perhaps you can tell me which colour wire from coils is Power and which is Pulse? Colours: white(thickess) - white/red stripe - brown. I assume that all black wires are to go to earth? Tnks again Jean W."

"Jean, sorry for the delay get

"Jean, sorry for the delay getting back to you.

The white with red stripe is the pulse from the trigger coil.

The brown is power.

Is the heavy white actually coming from under the flywheel? The only solid white I'm aware of is the feed over to the kill switch. Or are you just referring to the wire harness itself, since the 3 wires are bundled (the ones going to the CDI box)?

And yes the blacks are all the various grounds.

There may also be a pair of greens if equipped with a "lighting coil" which if connected to a regulator or rectifier can be used to either power assessories or charge a battery.."

"Tks again. Motor ran beautifu

"Tks again. Motor ran beautiful untill I noticed oil dripping from inside the prop. When i checked the oil-level, some brownish gooo runs out. Water did cool the motor when it ran. Now what? please!"

"Tks again. Motor ran beautifu

"Tks again. Motor ran beautiful untill I noticed oil dripping from inside the prop. When i checked the oil-level, some brownish gooo runs out. Water did cool the motor when it ran. Now what can be the problem now. Please help Tks"

"Posted on Monday, February 16

"Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 02:58 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tks again. Motor ran beautiful untill I noticed oil dripping from inside the prop. When i checked the oil-level, some brownish gooo runs out. Water did cool the motor when it ran. Now what can be the problem now.(dt40 2-stroke) Please help Tks"

Back