Logo

Force 120 io help

bagpipeswest

"hi
Im a newbie at boating.

"hi
Im a newbie at boating. I bought a 1991 bayliner with that force I/O the number on the block is 819313 and F501D it is a 4cyl. L drive.
What is the HP for this motor and what is the manual I need to but the engine back together? (besides the block and head, its together)
I need help lots of it."

"Brent, your numbers don't

"Brent, your numbers don't look correct there.

Force produced 4 different horsepower L-drive versions.

An 85, 90, 120 and 125 horse. Since yours is a 4 cylinder it will either be a 120 or 125 horse model. Also, the 125 L drive was only produced in 1989. So if we assume the motor was "new" the year it was kitted on the boat, you probably have a 1991, 120 version (that would be my guess).

The model numbers will look like -

85LD.. 90LD.. 120LD.. and 125LD..

Seloc's manual for 3 and 4 cylinder Force models also covers the L-drive series.

The motor on these is identical to their regular outboards (respectively), it was the lower unit and the mounts that were obviously different.

The L-drives were only in production for a couple years and then the design was scrapped.

Well over 80% of the parts for these (aside from the powerhead) have been discontinued and since they were not overly popular in the first place, should you require parts, you may have quite the challenge locating them.

Personally, I would be inclined to find another power option for your rig. Your current one could turn into quite the headache and lighten you wallet considerably unless you have alot of patience and plan on making it a "project" that you will work on yourself..."

"thanks

The power head was

"thanks

The power head was a complete core change. It was sent to the last owner and the old powerhead was sent back.

If I put the boat in gear (without powerhead on) how much resistance should there be when I spin the prop by hand?
What should I do before I put the powerhead back in? To the leg, or can everything be done with it in?
Cheers
Brent"

"Most everything can be done w

"Most everything can be done with the powerhead on. But do check the seal where the water tube connects to the exhaust plate (top of the leg - the underside of the "plate" that the powerhead mounts on), it's just easier to replace with the head off if it needs it.

"in gear" without the powerhead on should produce some minimal resistance - you are only turning the drive gear and drive shaft by hand and should be able to observe the drive shaft turning."

"Thanks for you help
I have

"Thanks for you help
I have most of the parts bolted back on. there are a few that I need help on. I've posted some pics
http://picasaweb.google.ca/bagpipeswest/BoatParts#
is there a big spring that goes in with the thermostat? if so how? if not where does the spring go?
there is a pic of a bracket. where does it go? and a pic of a wire is it a high temp alarm wire? where does it go?

Thanks
Brent"

Back